What do you guys think? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What do you guys think?

Couple survivors here. Im curious about the first buck, most people I talk to say that he is a young deer. The feed was very poor in this area last year and for all the bucks that survived 2k15, we didnt see the growth or even a shadow of what was there last year.
So what do you guys think? Is this a young buck with great potential, or will he be this way forever? I'm very curious to see what he develops into.

The second buck is one that I had been watching all season, he wasn't on the kill list due to being young and spindly. By the looks of it, someone larger reminded him that he was young and spindly. Cant wait to see him next year either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STC_0281_LI.jpg (975.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg STC_0287_LI.jpg (975.9 KB, 96 views)

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.

Last edited by GobbleBuck; 01-31-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:43 PM

It's impossible to tell age from trailcam pics but it looks like you are in the big woods, and that being the assumption, you certainly are not looking at yearling antler growth there. I would be excited about those guys entering their primes also. If you had acorns anything like my areas did this year, next year should see great antler growth barring any prolonged crusty snow.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
It's impossible to tell age from trailcam pics but it looks like you are in the big woods, and that being the assumption, you certainly are not looking at yearling antler growth there. I would be excited about those guys entering their primes also. If you had acorns anything like my areas did this year, next year should see great antler growth barring any prolonged crusty snow.

That's kind of my point. I get that neither of these were yearling bucks. I simply meant that, due to the lack of feed last year, a lot of bucks didn't develop into the potential that I saw the year previous (or so I think). The acorn crop this year was phenomenal and all the deer I have been seeing on cam this winter have been very healthy looking. So my curiosity lies in how much a lean year like last year was affects antler growth in the following year.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The big woods deer antlers certainly seem affected by really hard winters. Deep snow that last into late march still happen. I can't say I notice a difference when the winter is light, acorns or not.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 PM

I am no expert, but to me the first deer looks young. He may be 2.5, but he doesn't look older than that. It could be just the photo angle though. His body features just don't look like an older buck. Do you have anymore pics of him? Again I am no deer aging expert so take it with a grain of salt. LOL.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is the only other pic I have on this computer. I have a bunch of him on my laptop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STC_0193_LI.jpg (643.1 KB, 59 views)

Never Forget.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

I say he is a 2.5-3.5 yr old deer
don;'t forget its late season, bucks loose a lot of weight after a rut
but its hard to guess on a just a few pic's as angles change things
if you have a lot few decent pic;s of nose to eye distance and can compare to a younger buck at same distance from the camera, longer nose, is a some times way to tell on age IMO ask a GOOD taxidermist why!
if you don't know, or measure a few on mounts you have of older to younger bucks you have too, as a way to see this
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 PM

I agree with mrbb. Any way you look at it if he doesn't get injured and gets good nutrition this year, I would guess that he should be a dandy come fall.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

No doubt he is going to have the frame, I just hope he is sporting some more points.

Never Forget.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Regular Visitor

I think you need to stop acting like gobblebuck shockey and more like gobblebuck nugent! I'll gladly come hunt with you, whack either one, and then over a cold bush light we can discuss specifics on age and score. Ps I used your trail cam pics relative to google earth and pinpointed your location. See you in November!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page