First day of trout with my son - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes
  • 11 Post By psychobeagle12

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

First day of trout with my son

I was originally planning to post this in the trout forum, but I feel like it belongs here much more. Also, sorry this is a long post, and if you want to skip the main story, see the tl;dr at the end . I don't recall having ever told the first part of this story on this site, but after yesterday with my boy I think it may be time. In 2015, my wife had just graduated nursing school and I was due to earn my -- in Information Technology within the next two years. We decided at that time we wanted to start trying for kids. To make an incredibly long, painful story short, we ended up finding out in the spring of 2016 that natural children were almost certainly completely off the table for us. While we aren't living on the edge of poverty or anything like that, IVF is both expensive and dreadfully scary for a woman, and we had to face one of the most painful experiences of our lives. We both knew the odds of us having a child of our own were now nearly gone, and for months I could do little else but sit in a deep depression that I can only say I made it through due to the prayer and support of my friends and family. I began to understand that in all the things that I have gone through in my life, I had never experienced true emotional and mental pain until that point. I lost the desire to fish, hunt, and pretty much anything else that wasn't just keeping me alive. I have come to appreciate just how strong a woman my wife is, as she never gave up praying and hoping for a child in our lives the entire time.

My grandfather on my dad's side died in June of 2016 and we inherited his home. I had no idea that moving into this house would act as a catalyst for the family that we have today. My wife's step-brother was having his third baby at the time, and he and his wife simply weren't up to the task of taking care of a third child due to their circumstances. The boy ended up staying with my wife's mother, who has health problems of her own and is simply not capable at this point in her life of taking care of a young child full time. In 2017 my wife came to me and told me that her mother was having difficulty caring for him, and that we should start helping out by watching him a weekend or two a month. I'll admit, a painful reminder of what we couldn't have was the last thing I wanted, but I agreed nonetheless. He was 8 months old when we started caring for him. The first weekend was... rough. He had never slept in a crib before (grandma spoiled him quite a bit) and he did almost nothing but cry that entire first night. We spent Saturday playing with him, feeding him, all those things you do for a child, and by Sunday I was convinced: I wanted this boy in my life permanently.

After a long and sometimes painful adoption process, Deklan became our son by name on January 22nd, 2019. Just as I learned that there is such a thing as immeasurably deep pain, there is also such a thing as unbounded joy. My wife and I prayed for so long, for relief from the pain, for a family, to know joy again, and now, in spite of all that we went through over these past few years, we have had our prayers and cries answered. Deklan is almost three years old now, and I had the wonderful opportunity to take my son out yesterday afternoon on the first day of trout with my dad. I spent my time watching him throw rocks in the water, hit the water with his little fishing rod, and run around the lake like a madman. He got to see deer, geese, rabbits, and fish and he loved it. He petted all three trout and said 'bye fishy!!' after each release. My dad helped him reel in two of the three trout, and he absolutely could not get enough. I never thought I would get to experience this, watching my son play and fish with his grandpa, be able to take him out and know that being out with me made his day. I have never felt so blessed in my life, and even though it isn't what I would have chosen in the beginning, I can't believe anything other than that God knew from the beginning what life with my son would look like and He granted me this joy in his infinite wisdom. This first day of trout could not have been any better for all of us!

TL;DR
My wife and I adopted our first child earlier this year and I had the best first day of trout season ever with my dad and my son!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Congrats and a great story best of luck and good wishes.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM

Answered prayers!!

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Very touching story. You my friend and your wife stayed strong when most people would have given up. I dont know you but very happy for you both and there was a happy ending. Heres to you and your family and they memories that you will be making in years to come.

4B
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A wonderful story! So happy for you guys. Remember everything because they grow up SO fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Memories made & last a lifetime. Many more to come. Enjoy...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

God works in mysterious ways.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page