The Spirit and me . - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

The Spirit and me .

I still have the Spirit but my body is not strong enough to carry it far these days !

To hunt alone is no longer for me to do . As far as I know I am not in real bad shape but have seen fellows just never come back from lone hunts that were my age !
I enjoy so much to see the sun rise on a frosty morning. The breeze coming up the hollow and the leaves as they fall from the trees. The squirrels barking and shuffling around the trees . The Chickadees landing near by and pecking the bark . Turkeys clucking and gobbling in the distance .
To get up and just wonder around and see the forest and what is there but the Spirit will come on a breeze and whisper to me " Don't do it William !" No matter where I hunt in our area it is big hills and valleys and I always end up at the bottom of them. The hike back up is just too much now days ! My sons treat me well and they are always on the move towards me and I see my share of deer?
Man o man getting old just isn't my cup of tea !
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I also find myself talking about hunting more than actually doing it, but I still hit it hard in archery.

I just think if I walk up on the hill one morning and don't come back, I would be hard pressed to find a better ending.

Keep after it Willy.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Part of the Community

This sounds familiar with what I have heard a few men say over the years. Knowing when to hang up the boots is a personal choice. My father hung his up about 10 years ago and since then we bought a camp where he could sit in my wood shed with a fire burning and the wind blocked but his desire is gone. I miss hunting with him, I really do but at least I still have him to share my stories and harvests with at the end of the season.
Keep at it as long as you are able and willing and treasure each morning in the woods.
All the best to you Willyp
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Part of the Community

Willy, I have had make a few adaptations myself. I tend to hunt first benches at the top. I make one shot count, and doubt pass it up. Don't care what it 'is'. Walks are usually short in and out. Out is for double shiv pulleys and 150 feet of 1/4" nylon rope. If need go down hill until I Know I can tie off first pulley to tree, lower myself with balance of rig to game harvested. Tie to animal and tag end rope to another tree. Hand over hand down balance of remaining loop rope pulling deer up up as I go down until animal lodges of it's own weight. Go back up other side of loop hand over hand, repeat. If I have radio or phone contact call much younger friend who knows where I'll be, ask assistance when suits him. Tie both pulleys at top of grade, lower myself to deer, remove one tenderloin and cook it up. Tap nap until friend comes to assist. Sometimes works just as well to lower myself on system using climbers release hitch, take deer out to bottom. (backwards application of above) Remove one tenderloin, leave deer undressed but tagged, hike road back to top. Eat lunch if neccessary, take nap. Call friend, tell 'em OK, be a little late gettin home, contact wife. Call when headed home with ETA. Field dress deer at home. Shower, kiss Wife, go to bed. Been working well for a couple or ten years now
ed
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:46 PM
Part of the Community

For late seasons typically hunt area with communications working. Take bivouac gear for stay over. Always have game buggy locked into truck bed, night's supply of clean firewood, and prepared meal to cook. Sleep comfortable. Dress animal in morning when I am fresh, take all day if necessary to remove all parts of animal to truck. Clean and load gear. Drive home smiling to significant other smiling. Never forget free choice option NOT to shoot. Never worry, never hurry, lately never fail to take nap
Good night all
elkinstien likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Part of the Community

Lot of good memories with my Dad as he grew older. Would hunt a bit for grouse then he'd head back to Camp to do the dishes and take a nap while I'd strike out cross country to a predetermined spot to meet up later. Always joked about how we weren't really hunting, merely armed hiking exploringb old cellar holes, CCC works and apple orchards. Won't have that pleasure with my boy and hoping I last long enough to make such memories with his son. Cannot curse loud enough at archaic laws that cut the time for those memories nearly in half.
Flintnocker and bohunr like this.

If Sunday hunting was not already illegal, who among us would not laugh at making it so?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hey WillyP!

Heres another angle from another sick old guy having trouble staying in the hunt.

First, "Gettin old aint for sissies", (like its a choice), but we know that.

My kids are grown and out of state, my hunting partner had a massive stroke and his choice was made for him, and Elaine bought me an ATV so I can hunt as long as my heart (no pun intended) holds out.

Getting out there and back is possible again now, and maybe the same idea would work for you when that time is now. It aint trekkin, but it beats the couch!

The boys might appreciate it when its time to drag too!
Flintnocker, bohunr and 35 whelen like this.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Part of the Community

adopt a kid guys. it doesn't help the gettin' older part, but it sure does provide the opportunity. Teach them what you have learned over the years, and how you learned it. I know for certain that more than a few quite grateful young folks will still be hunting and fishing, and investing themselves in protecting what we all love long after I am gone. I still tell the stories they told me. and the stories are part and parcel of their own now. That is the real test of longevity. I was there with my grandparents Pa's and Ma's both, and aunts and uncles and cousins, and the friends of all of them. Now my sons and grandsons and granddaughter and their friends also know the Stories as their own. I'm pretty sure of being in those endless mountains a long, long time. That makes me real happy. pass it on, pay it forward.
bohunr and 35 whelen like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:36 PM
Part of the Community

Old guys are cool just because they lived long enough to be old. I hung on every word a lot of very cool old guys AND their WIVES were real happy to tell me from my early bicycle freedom days. They made cool stuff, they knew how to catch fish EVERY time we went, and knew when NOT to go, and stay in the shop and make cool stuff! They treated me like they really enjoyed my company, and all of 'em eventually gave me some of their favorite olde tools if I promised to keep 'em proper and use 'em for what they were made to do. still have all of 'em and use 'em to this day. Impossible not to think of 'em every time I pick up one of those tools, use one of those fishin rods, or show my grandson how to do the same. Anything you see here in any of the photos of stuff I made probably has several of them made right into it. This also includes both Mom and Dad. Gettin old isn't so bad for the most part..just the aches and pains from livin Life to it's fullest. The outer shell isn't worth much anyway..it's the inside where the Sweet stuff is
Good Night Friends. 4:15am comes so fast this time o' year!
afdaf likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 PM
Regular Visitor

I can surely relate. Have a titanium cage in my back from an injury in Fallucha, one knee replacement and just worn out . Last year was the first time I missed deer season in over 50 years. In my mind I can still hunt but last time I did I fell and spent the night in the woods. Not a big deal to me but really upset my wife. Not sure where to go from here but something inside of me keeps compelling me to try again.
flintlock hunter likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page