Patrick F. McManus - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Patrick F. McManus

I don't know if anyone else enjoys his writing, but I sure do. I kept my Outdoor Life subscription for years pretty much just for his piece each month. I own most (if not all) of his books.

I didn't catch it initially, but a friend told me (and Google Fu confirmed) that Mr. McManus passed away on April 11.

He will be missed.

If you have not read any of his work, I encourage you to do so. He wrote some incredibly funny stories based on hunting, fishing, and his experiences growing up in rural Idaho in the 30's and 40's. Being born in 1975, I assure you, the humor is timeless.

Just thought it should be mentioned. He wasn't as famous as the likes of Jack O'Connor or Elmer Keith, but he gave us some wonderful stories none the less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:44 PM
The Man

I believe I have a copy of every book he ever wrote; including one autographed. I was fortunate enough to meet and talk with him when he was in the Altoona area almost 30 years ago. Incredibly entertaining and funny man. "Anybody can shoot all their bullets into the same place. I like to randomly scatter mine all over the target, cause you just never know which way that deer is going to jump".

RIP Patrick F.
Asajoe1 and Dean Conklin like this.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:49 PM

https://www.outdoorlife.com/17-hilar...about-outdoors

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:24 PM

Z

I felt like Rancid Crabtree was a member of the family. I always went straight to the back of magazine to read his stuff first. Ed Zern, from Field and Stream was also a favorite of mine. Those fellas could sure tell a story.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:39 PM

I remember reading his articles when we use to get Outdoor Life ,very good reading , prayers sent to family
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

My folks ordered me a bunch of his books as Christmas gifts back before ordering on the internet was an option. They said they talked to his wife and she yelled for him to go get some books and sign them. I have a bunch of them that are signed. Since my birthday is close to Christmas, he wound up signing and dating them on my birthday. Just a neat twist.

I wish I could have met him. He had to have been fun to talk to.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I loved reading his books , had them all. Gave my whole collection to a friends son about 10 years ago (my daughters weren't interested). Turned him into a fan too. I sure will miss Retch Sweeney and all the antics the boys got into. RIP
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

RIP. I have most of his books. Some hilarious stuff.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I have all his books. Growing up I was always reading Gene Hill, Pat Mcmanus, and Peter Hathaway Capstick. Huge part of my life. I didn't read very well as a kid until I started reading their books. That all changed in one summer. I've been a constant reader ever since thanks to those guys. All three gone now. All their books still on my shelf. Id like to pass them on to a kid but do kids even read that kind of stuff any more?

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
I have all his books. Growing up I was always reading Gene Hill, Pat Mcmanus, and Peter Hathaway Capstick. Huge part of my life. I didn't read very well as a kid until I started reading their books. That all changed in one summer. I've been a constant reader ever since thanks to those guys. All three gone now. All their books still on my shelf. Id like to pass them on to a kid but do kids even read that kind of stuff any more?
Buckskin, I love reading Capstick. We really lost a great writer when he died way too young. Teddy Roosevelt's writing on African hunting is also quite good. Kids will read if given material that interest them. In my lifetime I've given away more books than have ever rested on my own shelves. Most of them to kids or young adults. Many times these were books I really would have loved to keep but found a greater benefit in passing them on to someone I knew would enjoy them. And more importantly hoped it would foster a love of reading in them. And I believe many times my goals were accomplished.

Kids will read, the first step is making the material available.
bigguy54 and Buckskin Dave like this.

Last edited by simoncool; 04-26-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page