Those Jersey Boys want their moneys worth? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Those Jersey Boys want their moneys worth?

Years back I use to read how people wanted a deer so bad they would take it from kids or even other hunters. I wonder if that is still happening.. nothing against NJ but that's who many people would blame .. Jersey hunters.. Just like they say... Dang Jersey Drivers!!!!

One time I thought these three guys were going to take a buck off of me.. I shot it right through the heart not more than 10 yards away from my stand... They showed up and started saying they killed that deer. I even left them look at where they say they shot it.. There was no bullet hole there... When they started to ask me if I was there by myself... I lied... I told them my brother was 50 yards just over to the side of me.. He really was 2 miles down in the valley hunting.. Yikes.. They could see my gun was still loaded.. The one that said he shot it wanted to know if I would like to use his knife to gut it.. Of course I said no I have plenty of knives on me....

They sure probably weren't from Jersey but they didn't look like me either....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
The Man

That's one of the 6 reason I do carry a hand gun on me now too... With a permit to carry it too. Why I went over to another county to eat last night and had a hand gun in my pocket... woo have I had the adventures in the outdoors...
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Seriously, you would get into a life or death situation over a deer!
The courts would have fun with you!
Permit to carry does not guarantee rational thought!
bobdoo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:38 PM
The Man

Only had "a situation" once. I was the "Danged Pa Guy" hunting in Maryland on public land. I had run into two brothers scouting the last day of archery (I was hunting, they were scouting), with first day of rifle the following day. I told them that I usually hunted right there but they said they'd be in there in two wood tree stands that they'd just put up. I said that's fine, I'll just move out the ridge a few hundreds yards tomorrow.

Well, tomorrow comes and I'm in my portable where I said I'd be, when to my left there's a loud shot and here comes a doe from over their way. She stops at about 75 yards and as I got her in the scope (either sex legal) I see lots of horns behind her. Out steps the buck and I take a frontal shot. Buck runs right in front of me just down the hill about 30 yards. I swung on him and blew hair off the top of his back on the next shot, then completely missed him with the next. Now he's past me and quartering away and I plugged him in behind the near ribs and out the far shoulder. He went 20 yards and piled up.

I scoot down the tree and by the time I get to the buck, here come the brothers. The buck had one just through the front of the brisket (they said their shot, but it could have been my first one), and one across the back and one through the boiler room (my shots). They asked if they could examine the buck, I said that's fine, they congratulated me and commented it "was the best buck they'd seen come off that hill in twenty years". So all turned out well.

Here he goes, many moons ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marylandpubliclandbuck.jpg (57.7 KB, 68 views)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse28 View Post
Remember the criminal mind just will kill you. You have to have protection. I didn't pull a gun on them. You do have to use your head out there. Something like this can happen to you when your just mindng your budiness.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse28 View Post
Remember the criminal mind just will kill you. You have to have protection. I didn't pull a gun on them. You do have to use your head out there. Something like this can happen to you when your just minding your budiness.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 PM

I never had a dispute about a deer. I have with some small game like pheasant, but I just tried to be like a duck.

However, I do have some funny stories when it comes to Jersey hunters. If you're a sportsmen from NJ please take this in jest. So one time I was hunting another bordering state. I found the spot during archery and like what I was seeing. Fast forward to the firearms season opener. I went to my spot on a ridge and still had about an hour before light. Low and behold he come two headlamps. as they approach me I turn my headlamp on high and let my position be know since they where coming straight for me. I quickly throw my climber up on the tree and I meet them about 10yds from my tree. They introduce themselves and say how surprised they are to see me. They say they've been coming to this spot for years and never see anyone else. I even offered to move, but they told me that since I was there before them I have the spot. It was a father and son so I didn't want to ruin they're hunt because I admire a team as such and can only dream that my children want to make memories out hunting with me. So the son tell me he'll go downhill from my and about 300yds out. I'm fine with this. That's a perfect amount of space away. However, the father tells me hes going to go 300yds on the opposite site of me. Would you believe he only went another 100yds down the ridge and started climbing up a tree? I just figured whatever and again like a duck let it roll off my back. We didn't see a deer, but after he left at 10am i saw a ton. Fast forward to the next morning I see just the father walking down the same ridge in the dark. He asks where I'm going because I don't have my climber with me. After they left me the first morning I found a hot spot off another trail and decided to try this spot about 600-700yds away from the original spot. So I tell him the general area I'll be and the trail location, but he mentioned his son is at the end of that said trail. He then proceeds to tell me that's where his son currently is. No, the area I was going too is far from where he mentioned his son being. After he is assuring me that I'll be right next to his son I proceed to pull out my phone and look on satellite imagery. I show him where he said his son is going to be and where I will be. I measure the distance on my phone and it's 400+yds apart. I then proceed to tell him that that is a lot farther than what he told me he would be from me the day before. "Oh yeah, I guess your right" he said. Technology is a wonderful thing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Stay in New Joisey and hunt your Pine Barons.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Surely you 'll have heard the story oftelling a kid if they kill a buck to pin something in the chest cavity should someone steal it from them. Challenged before they get to the vehicle it's proof to police they stole the kids deer. Sadly heard stories of adults taking kids deer.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am a New Jersey hunter that has been hunting in Berks county since I was 12 years old I was born in the SE part of the state of PA and now live in Southern New Jersey, that's just where my life journey has taken my family, I am now 64 along with my lifelong friend and hunting partner who is also 64 and also resides in New Jersey. We abide by all laws and are respectful of the properties we hunt and fellow hunters. I will never understand why anyone would care where you are from as long as you are a respectful person and ethical hunter. We pay for our licenses every year just like anyone else we just pay more. We also hunt archery, gun and late season archery and flintlock, then coyote's in February. I can't tell you how many dirty looks we have gotten over the years from the so called hunters that only hunt for deer in gun season. You can ask any of the farmers whose property we hunt about us and they will tell you "great respectful guys" and that's good enough for me. Oh and by the way we wake up at 1:30 in the morning to enjoy the PA woods at least twice a week starting in September all the way through February, that's our choice and we enjoy every minute of hunting the PA woods. Just thought I would pass this on to the NJ bashers. There are bad people everywhere in every state!
bigguy54, Dogface, loridr and 4 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page