The Jacket - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Takemrarely
  • 1 Post By Extremesolo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The Jacket

Just wondering if anyone read the article "The Jacket" in the December issue of Game News? It's about a son reflecting on his father's hunting coat and the memories attached to it. The jacket passed down to him after his father's passing. The article made me think of my dad's hunting jacket that has been hanging in the closet at my mom's house since his passing 5 years ago. She has asked me if I wanted it on a number of occasions, but I have declined the offer so far. I am afraid that if I bring it into my home it would be more painful for me. Every time I saw it I'm sure it would bring back all those memories again. I can still see the big tree we stood beside the opening day of buck season, and the buck that we both missed at about 10 yds, my first year of hunting. Yeah, lots of good memories. But the pain of knowing we will never do that again makes me hesitant to bring his hunting gear home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I read it last night....sounds like something A LOT of Penna. hunters go through.

I carry my Dad's .308. There are many times when I am on stand that I sit and stare at the gun and let my mind go back.

My advice to you would be to go and get your dad's jacket, (or something else that would remind you of him), and start and carry it. Respecting their memory can be painful, but it is the right thing to do.

Good luck this season.
Limbhanger835 likes this.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 11:46 AM

It might be painful for a short time , but in the long run it would/should be comforting to you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Zeke,
Sorry to hear of your loss. As we all grow older by the minute, it's the memories we have left to cherish. The bond you and your father had sounds strong. I do believe he's with you each and every day. Best wishes

Are we at camp yet?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Part of the Community

I wear "the jacket" the old plaid Woolrich - my Grandfathers - fits me like a glove. Have been for years now. 2 books of matches from a now defunct bank are still in the breast pocket - and the matching plaid hat is in the back game bag. And both will reside there until someone else in the family inherits it. Funny thing is - my dad had the same Woolrich jacket - it doesn't fit me - It now resides with my sister.

WMU - 2A
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Part of the Community

I have, but rarely wear, an old plaid wool button down shirt that belonged to my grandfather. I only ever got to hunt with him a handfull of times though. In the pocket there is half of a black plastic comb he used to comb his hair when he was at camp in Clearfield as well as a half of a pencil that he iused to fill out his tags. Neither of those items will ever leave those pockets as long as I own the shirt.
wilbursuZiki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in