The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Encore 460 S & W barrels shoots other ammo also

20K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  uncle buck 
#1 ·
Understand if you do shoot a 460 S & W you can use other 45 cal ammo such as the 45 Long Colt. Is this true?

#3 ·
Yep, you certainly can....The .460 is a slightly longer cased version of the .454 Casull which is a lengthened .45 Colt.

Imagine.....The same bullet coming out the barrel anywhere from 900fps to 2100 fps

.45 Colt for plinking duties and for getting familiar with the gun, .454 Casull for anything in North America, .460 S&W for anything on Earth.

#4 ·
One of the most interesting comparisons of the 460 is when you compare it to the 45-70. For example, if you compare a 460, 395gr. bullet with a MV of 1800fps to a 45-70, 400gr. bullet with a MV of 1845fps, you will find the down range velocities and energies to be almost identical.

So, for the 460....there really is no mystery to the cartridge.

SW

#5 ·
So if you have a Encore 24 inch barrel 4570 it would be equal to the Katahdin Pro Hunter™ 20" barrel 460 S & W! However the 460 S & W you could shoot three different kinds of bullets. Where the regular 45/70 you can't. By the way the Katahdin Pro Hunter™ 20" does come in 4570 to but it sounds like if you were going to getKatahdin Pro Hunter™ 20", the 460 S & W Katahdin Pro Hunter can do so much more. Unless you want to reload the 4570 down????

Might be nice to use it for swamp gun and put a nice red dot on the 460 S & W????????

#7 ·
uncle buck said:
So if you have a Encore 24 inch barrel 4570 it would be equal to the Katahdin Pro Hunter™ 20" barrel 460 S & W! However the 460 S & W you could shoot three different kinds of bullets. Where the regular 45/70 you can't. By the way the Katahdin Pro Hunter™ 20" does come in 4570 to but it sounds like if you were going to getKatahdin Pro Hunter™ 20", the 460 S & W Katahdin Pro Hunter can do so much more. Unless you want to reload the 4570 down????

Might be nice to use it for swamp gun and put a nice red dot on the 460 S & W????????
I don't quite get what your attempting to say. Your stating a lot of words, but you don't state any numbers.

All I was stating, and backed up by ballistic data, was that the 460 (which is still a 45 caliber no matter how you slice or dice it) when shooting the same, or near the same bullet weight at the same or near the same velocity as that of the 45-70, gives you the exact same performance as that bullet shot from the 45-70.

The 460 is no "magic" caliber. It just shoots a 45 caliber bullet. Just like the 45-70.

#12 ·
I have a 20" Katahdan 460 barrel for my encore. Shooting the 460's out of it kick like a mull. With my eyes I am comfident taking deer out to 100 yards with the peep sites on it. It is real lite and handy in the brush. I mostly shoot 45 colt out of it at the range at 100 yards. The site does not have enough elevation so I have to use alot of kentucky elevation but it is fun to shoot.

#13 ·
I also have a 20" Katahdan 460 barrel for my encore. I reload many different loads for it and I have found the reduce load for the 260grain nosler to be extremly accurate. Also useing this load the gun doesn't kick anymore than my 22inch 44mag barrel.The big advantage I can think of is the fact the Katahin has open sights.

#14 ·
Yes if I ever get the T/C 20 inch barrel I'm not going to remove the open peep sight...That would be yet another reason to purchase one... Once you start to put on scopes why not just use a slug gun...Like the idea that it has the peep sight on it!!!
Wow if you reload for the 460 S & W you would also have to buy the 45 Long Colt and the 454 Casull dies too!!!!!If you wanted to reload for all of them!!!

EABCO web site made comment that you can just use the Prohunter rifle forearm.. I thought you had to buy the Katahdan forearm??????
Maybe I will get a barrel come Christmas!!!

#15 ·
you might want to consider that the 45-70 will shoot bullets weighting 300-600 grains, 300-500 available as factory loads. i don't believe the 460 is as versatal as the 45-70, especially while reloading. if you are contemplating buying one of these look at all the info available, don't just pick one bullet weight and compare the two. something else I have run into when using cast bullets in my FA 454, shooting shorter cartridges like the 45 colt in the longer chamber can and will build up a ring in the chamber/cylinder that needs to be cleaned out before the longer cartridge is inserted/chambered. if this ring gets big enough, you may not be able to chamber the longer round and if you can the pressure spikes. this has been said many times before but I will say it again, shoot the cartridge the gun has been chambered for. I don't believe that any manufacturer has stated that several different cartridges are recommended for use in one chamber. I may be incorrect on this, but I have never seen it in writing. jim

#16 ·
I do have the Bond Derringer in the 45/410 3 inch chambers. I shot everything in it that mfg says. Yes I did see the rings developing around the firing pins. However I recently took some Hoppes Solvent and with a brush removed the rings. It came off easy..I was concerned that it could be permanent rings too. However it did remove it.. Your comment does have merit. That shooting all kinds of different ammo will cause rings to develop. Looks like the solvent takes it away in the Bond Arms derringer with little effort.
would be nice if Thompson Center would say yes and or no on the 460 S & W Encore barrels!!!!Your right I never see mfg saying it it's always hunters that say it's OK to shoot the three different rounds!!!!

#18 ·
I would reload and if so I just would reload the 460 S & W cases... Like everyone commented you can reload down a larger case... One of the benefits of going with larger calibers.
Notice that Cabelas does sell the bear load in the 460 S & W! nothing more then a flat lead bullet..

#19 ·
Anyone use one of the peep sights that are on some of the Encore barrels for deer? Namely the 500 S & W, 4570, and or the 460 S & W 20 inch rifle barrels.

I know a nice low powered scope or red dot would work fine on a 20 inch barrel but a peep sight?

How far can you shoot with a peep sight in the deer woods with let say a 460 S & W and be deadly?

Are they accurate or would the recoil of a 460 S & W cause it not to be accurate?

What are some of the positive and negatives of a peep sight in the deer woods?

As you go up through the more powerful calibers would the sight be useless? 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and 460 S & W?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.