The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Central Pa Hiking Trails

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  PerryTuscarora 
#1 ·
My family and I have recently taken up hiking. My wife and three daughters and I all love it and we've made it an every weekend activity. My problem is, I'm running out of hiking trails. In fact, thus far, we've only been hiking two different trails.

I live in close proximity to Pine Grove State Furnace, Michaux State Forest and Caledonia State Park. I've picked up hiking maps and trail guides but I can't seem to locate the start points for a lot of trails.

If anyone can help with directions or kid friendly hiking it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I've told that there is a nice scenic trail near Caledonia that's got a waterfall. My daughters and wife are aching to try that one and I'd love to find out where it is.

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
Uh, the Appalachian Trail isn't far from you. Just get on it at the nearest point and head south. Keep walking and sooner or later you'll locate it's starting point. Be sure to take lots of water as you'll probably get thirsty before you get there.

(Just kidding, kinda.)

Google "hiking trails in PA", or add the word "maps" to the search and you'll find miles of information.

John

#3 ·
You can call the DCNR and get state forest maps (some SF have hiking trail maps too) and they are free. They will show you trails and trail heads.
There are also books for sale on hiking trails in PA, some for different regions of the state. They are nice because most give trail descriptions/ratings, directions and/or GPS coordinates, info such as waterfalls, vistas, etc.

#4 ·
Get the Michaux State Forest map if you haven't already. And ask if they have any trail maps. Those are much more detailed than the general state forest maps. Just Google Michaux SF for the phone number, call them M-F, 8-4 pm and ask for the maps. They'll send them for free.

#5 ·
The water fall is on Rt 233 just north of Rt 30 in the park. Head on 233 North and you will drive right past the waterfall. There is a parking lot there. Good hiking from the Pine Grove Park south to Caledonia State Park on the AT. About 20 miles. Also a nice hike on the blue trail that runs from Toms Run shelter (AT) to Old Shippensburg Rd up over Sunset Rocks. Very nice views. I hike a lot up there. There are parking lots on the major roads where the AT crosses them. Good day hike or over night hike. You can camp at the shelters.

#14 ·
Snyder80 said:
My family and I have recently taken up hiking. My wife and three daughters and I all love it and we've made it an every weekend activity. My problem is, I'm running out of hiking trails. In fact, thus far, we've only been hiking two different trails.

I live in close proximity to Pine Grove State Furnace, Michaux State Forest and Caledonia State Park. I've picked up hiking maps and trail guides but I can't seem to locate the start points for a lot of trails.

If anyone can help with directions or kid friendly hiking it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I've told that there is a nice scenic trail near Caledonia that's got a waterfall. My daughters and wife are aching to try that one and I'd love to find out where it is.

Thanks for any help!
Did you hit any trails yet? I hiked some of the AT the last 2 days. Ran into a ratlesnake on Friday close Michaux Road (just off the AT). If you start on Shippensburg Road and head south it's kind of flat. If you head north it's mostly down hill so you would have to walk back up when you turn around to head back to your car. If you start on Michaux Rd and hike the Blue trail to Toms Runs Shelter and then hike the AT back to Michaux Rd it's a little rocky on the Blue Trail at spots but flat. Good for kids. Have lunch at the Shelter. There were a lot of hikers on the AT Friday and Saturday. Met a couple "Thru hikers", "Ridge Runner", and a couple Trail Angles on Michaux Road handing out drinks and candy bars for hikers.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.