The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Wounded Deer

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Deer Hunter 
#1 ·
So, I'm looking up outfitters. From what I understand, most outfitters consider any blood drawn as a kill and your hunt ends, is that correct? While I make every effort to make the best shot placement and practice, does that scare anyone else that their 4,000 dollar or more hunt could end with a short blood trail? If you've hunted long enough, it will happen. Hopefully not on a hunt you paid so much for! Has this happened to anyone here? What do you think about this? Just curious, I find it interesting!

#2 ·
So far (knock on wood) it hasn't happened to me, at least on a hunt such as you are considering. This is a pretty much standard policy among a bunch of outfitters worldwide. Should it scare you? Perhaps. At least it makes you a bit more careful. You are right that if you hunt long enough it probably will happen.

My short and skinny take on the subject is that if you want to hunt the big ones, say like in Saskatchewan or Alberta, you accept that as part of the game. Go and enjoy the hunt. Think positive thoughts, and make your shots good ones.

Now, you want to talk pucker factor? In 2003, I hunted Cape buffalo in Africa. The trophy fee for a buff was $10,000 back then, and my first shot was not a great one (there is more to the story). We managed to get the buff, but had we not, I was out ten grand. Now that sort of money will tend to shrink the old sphincter. Please note that as evidenced by the following photo, the buffalo is the one on the wall. Had we not recovered him, I might be in that location due to one very upset W 1 FE unit.

#4 ·
I have seen that more for Africa than in the states. I have fortunately never had it happen to me but none of the outfitters I have hunted with in the states has had that policy. Yes you and they will do everything possible to recover the wounded game but once the outfitter calls it off as unfindable or possibly not even a kill they have always let the person continue to hunt if that person so desired. If it happenned twice though it would be the end of the hunt.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.