Let's Take a Vote! - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
View Poll Results: Do You Support the Saturday Rifle Opener?
YES! 186 54.07%
NO! 158 45.93%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:01 AM
Regular Visitor

Since polls were mentioned in this thread I thought I would add some info. It's sometimes amusing how the results of a poll can be used by an individual to conform to their wishes. In the March 29th edition of PA Outdoor News a columnist's headline read "Admit That Hunters Don't Want Saturday Opener". Reading further into the article the facts stated that 65% of 3264 poll respondents, that's 2121 individuals, stated they were not in favor of a Saturday opener. Cherry picking facts at its finest. The PGC said there were 700,000 deer hunters in 2018. Do the math. This writer is obviously not in favor of a Saturday opener but used his platform to bolster his opinion by omitting material facts. Much like the politicians of today. If a reader didn't bother to look into the article he or she could easily be mislead. Along the same lines, I'm not sure if it was the semi-auto issue or the Sunday hunting issue but the same writer, who was obviously against which ever one it was, did the same thing using arguments that really didn't hold water but enforced his personal opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 AM
Sage

The PGC's Vision is posted on their Web: In part.... "For more than 100 years, the Game Commission has managed the Commonwealth's wildlife resources for all Pennsylvanians. With the help of more than 700 full-time employees and thousands of part-timers and volunteers, the agency provides a host of benefits to wildlife, state residents, and visitors." I tend to trust their highly experienced "ear to the ground" helping to guide them in decisions such as this which they determined to benefit our sport. Over the past...sometimes I disagreed with some of their decisions but seems as things played out..... they got it right!!
Vonfoust likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #63 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Everyone Iíve talked to so far donít like it. Most are a lot younger friends than myself, 30 age group, working class with families, and they donít like it.
bigguy54 likes this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken66 View Post
No no no !!!
Wait, did you just vote 3 times? What is this? Philadelphia?
post #65 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
No "camp hunter" here. (Is there such a thing anymore? ) I voted no because... What sense does it make to open deer season only to close it down the very next day? It's about as exciting as most of the chest beaters in this thread.
Every other hunting season in PA starts on a Saturday so those season's are all closed the next day too (for now.) I was hoping we'd get the Sunday hunting issue fixed first though (it's much more important to me) but it's not something that bothers me all that much that the change to the opener happened first.
kdvarmint likes this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #66 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's yes for me.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #67 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 AM

They're changing the rifle opener day ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #68 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I say No right now but if they ever bring Sunday hunting in then I would be a Yes. I cant imagine why you would want the first day to be on a saturday then no hunting the next day, then back at it on monday. Screws up too many hunters vacations and traditions.
post #69 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERZ7 View Post
I say No right now but if they ever bring Sunday hunting in then I would be a Yes. I cant imagine why you would want the first day to be on a saturday then no hunting the next day, then back at it on monday. Screws up too many hunters vacations and traditions.
Yeah, 'cause it's not like practically every other PA hunting season opens on a Saturday right?

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #70 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou I View Post
Since polls were mentioned in this thread I thought I would add some info. It's sometimes amusing how the results of a poll can be used by an individual to conform to their wishes. In the March 29th edition of PA Outdoor News a columnist's headline read "Admit That Hunters Don't Want Saturday Opener". Reading further into the article the facts stated that 65% of 3264 poll respondents, that's 2121 individuals, stated they were not in favor of a Saturday opener. Cherry picking facts at its finest. The PGC said there were 700,000 deer hunters in 2018. Do the math. This writer is obviously not in favor of a Saturday opener but used his platform to bolster his opinion by omitting material facts. Much like the politicians of today. If a reader didn't bother to look into the article he or she could easily be mislead. Along the same lines, I'm not sure if it was the semi-auto issue or the Sunday hunting issue but the same writer, who was obviously against which ever one it was, did the same thing using arguments that really didn't hold water but enforced his personal opinion.
This is known as probability sampling. Meaning if all the licensed hunters were surveyed the probability of it being 65% against the opener is 95 percent accurate or higher. This a cost effective way to conduct a survey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page