Let's Take a Vote! - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
View Poll Results: Do You Support the Saturday Rifle Opener?
YES! 200 54.05%
NO! 170 45.95%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Sage

Pretty normal for people to switch sides to be on the winning side. Just saying, could explain the reversal here, albeit small.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
Ok before anybody on the Saturday side sprains something patting themselves on the back, I have to ask why is this poll valid if the first wasn’t?

I feel both are valid. Either different members responded or some have changed their minds. This poll as of now indicates HPA supports the change. As of the time of the last poll results said orherwise. If you choose to claim the first poll invalid, then by default, this one must be too.

Either way the fact remains that the PGC is on record saying most hunters opposed the change. Even Commissioner Daley, one of the supporters of the initial proposal, sited that fact as his reason to change his vote.
Not as many answered this time around or just didnt answer because they are netural and that wasnt an option to choose. I do find it funny how the first poll didnt go in the favor of those for it disclaimed it but a different story now since the poll shows a different outcome when the poll isnt necessary now since it passed.
Woods walker likes this.

4B
post #43 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

None of these polls are valid. To actually show the true statistics you would have to validate the sample of people voting. An actual random sample. These are all a hodgepodge of who found the poll and actually decided to vote.
JasonN likes this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
Ok before anybody on the Saturday side sprains something patting themselves on the back, I have to ask why is this poll valid if the first wasn’t?

I feel both are valid. Either different members responded or some have changed their minds. This poll as of now indicates HPA supports the change. As of the time of the last poll results said orherwise. If you choose to claim the first poll invalid, then by default, this one must be too.

Either way the fact remains that the PGC is on record saying most hunters opposed the change. Even Commissioner Daley, one of the supporters of the initial proposal, sited that fact as his reason to change his vote.
IMO...the un-voting majority of us were indifferent in the first poll...then the majority of the minority were opposed to the change... since it's now a done deal...this poll seems to asks if you now support the change...so many of the indifferent majority have chosen to support it.

IMO... It really doesn't matter...If Sunday hunting passes...the real majority of us would support the change anyway...and at this time...that still seems to be a REAL possibility.
JasonN likes this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #45 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All I do is win, win, win!

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #46 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM

I have been a supporter of a Saturday opener and have been asking the BOC to consider it for some time. I have no issues sticking my chin out, even if it may get swung at a time or two. Now that it is over, no gloating or in your face comments from me. The discussion was passionate for sure. But it is time to move on.

As for polls. I don't lend them more weight than other factors no matter which side one is one. Should they be considered? Absolutely, but opinion polls should just be one of the many factors that folks should consider and weigh on important issues such as this.

It is obvious that the commissioners struggled with this decision. They knew heat was coming no matter how they voted. They weighed all of the factors, including polls, and came to a decision.
JasonN likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #47 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I don't care either way.
JasonN likes this.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #48 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:53 AM
The Man

Yeah! Let's take a vote on something that's already been decided!
elk yinzer likes this.
post #49 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sat opener makes zero sense if Sun isn't in play.
post #50 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent20 View Post
This is a good article about camp tradition.

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/ou...s/201904110049

There's not one guy in that picture under 60 years old...
He speaks of "tradition" like they are only at camp for 3 days a year....
All those things that will be missed can be done anytime throughout the year if you use your camp for more that a couple days a year....
If as a camp owner, if you pigeon toe yourself to just using your deer camp for the 1st week of the rifle season you are already losing out regardless of the so called opener....
RyanR likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page