taxes - Page 9 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
You did it right. That is your money. Why let the government hold it for you and then make you beg to get it back.

So many people live for that at the end of the tax season and when it doesn't happen it seems their world comes crashing down. I never got a bunch back from the IRS my whole life, but like I said this is the first year I paid. Best to hit the balance and get the majority of your money all year long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
For most it was 20 to 50 bucks a check and spread out over the year it wasn't that lump sum many were used to seeing.
?????????????????????????? what?? It's a simple answer, either you kept more of your own money or you didn't between 1/1/2018 and 12/31/2018. Whether it was weekly, monthly, or annually is irrelevant. Those who measure the value of the tax cut based upon how much they "got back" in the form of a refund of their own money have a bigger issue.....they don't understand how the tax system works. They should be hoping for a refund of zero or even a need to pay a small amount at tax time. They should see a tax professional to coach them on how to set up their withholding. Getting a big refund at tax time generally means you're loaning money to Uncle Sam all year interest free and not very smart.
blackpowder likes this.

Last edited by wingshot; 06-21-2019 at 10:34 AM.
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:12 PM

Welcome back Wingshot, you must have been away nobody posted on this post since tax time.

What I have heard, and somewhat agree with is when you get your deduction weekly it gets absorbed in daily living vs when you get a 3k check in April you have it, can see it and make a major purchase.
Many were caught off guard and foolishly expected that weekly bump plus that fat check at tax time.
Thing I didn't expect was the affect my taxes would be affected with the change in the SALT deductions.
It never bothered me to loan uncle Sam money interest free......it's the American thing to do, for every dollar I lent them that was one less they had to borrow off China
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
Welcome back Wingshot, you must have been away nobody posted on this post since tax time.

What I have heard, and somewhat agree with is when you get your deduction weekly it gets absorbed in daily living vs when you get a 3k check in April you have it, can see it and make a major purchase.
Many were caught off guard and foolishly expected that weekly bump plus that fat check at tax time.
Thing I didn't expect was the affect my taxes would be affected with the change in the SALT deductions.
It never bothered me to loan uncle Sam money interest free......it's the American thing to do, for every dollar I lent them that was one less they had to borrow off China
So...your lack of understanding regarding the tax cuts is what...patriotic?
blackpowder likes this.
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Sage

It is not patriotic to lend Uncle Sam money interest free, it s laziness or just not thinking. I would rather owe $10,00 than get a return of $500,00. I resent the fact that I must have a payroll deduction from my paycheck so the government can enjoy the fruits of my labor before I do. They take my money from me before my income tax is due. If the government can take my money, I should be able to have the government as a deduction. I do not understand the mentality of over paying income tax and them looking forward to getting your own money back as though it was some kind of reward! If you get a $2000.00 refund, it means you lost the opportunity to draw interest on that $2000.00.
Dogface, blackpowder and Steeltrap like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes, In response to the poll.
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
It is not patriotic to lend Uncle Sam money interest free, it s laziness or just not thinking. I would rather owe $10,00 than get a return of $500,00. I resent the fact that I must have a payroll deduction from my paycheck so the government can enjoy the fruits of my labor before I do. They take my money from me before my income tax is due. If the government can take my money, I should be able to have the government as a deduction. I do not understand the mentality of over paying income tax and them looking forward to getting your own money back as though it was some kind of reward! If you get a $2000.00 refund, it means you lost the opportunity to draw interest on that $2000.00.
My money guy told my years ago, if your getting a refund, your poor at managing you money. And what WW said!
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You're talking about $25. Most people don't have the will power to save money and that is there way of doing it. They get their check, pay off Christmas and maybe splurge on a little something.
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 PM

Saying how people choosing to pay more in taxes and then get a larger refund are lazy, misunderstand or poor money management is nobody's business but the person paying the tax.
Works for some, not so much for others. JMO paying more taxes knowing it's a guaranteed return in March is no more lazy or poor money management than those that lease vehicles or rent homes their entire lives

Last edited by Birch812; 06-23-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page