Drones checking on game law violators - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
View Poll Results: Should the Pa Game Commission use Drones to monitor hunting activity
Yes 2 40.00%
No it woud be a violation of my rights. 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I ran it for 1 month.. Normally I run them for 3 months..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYASUB View Post
Over the years I've read a lot of posts by WCOs here on HPA and now we even have Game Warden reality tv shows, and it seems to me that a lot of what those folks do has to be done in person. A drone can't read a persons body language, look him in the eye, or ask the right questions, that has to be done face to face.

As for using drones for search and rescue, you're gonna need a drone that carries enough fuel to search for hours, has GPS, has a real time remote camera, and the camera is gonna need infra red imaging or the drone will have to be equipped with FLIR so it can see through leafy trees and evergreens. The military has stuff like that but they're real big on lending their toys out, and local S+R outfits certainly can't afford such a thing.
There are many locals who have started fully certified and insured businesses offering the types of services that you think the military only has. Fuel is not an issue, they all carry enough batteries with them to cover the flight times and the drone comes back to its home location when getting low. GPS and real time cameras are pretty much standard now. Fire departments are already using them with FLIR on them. This has been going on over the past three years. A drone with all the capabilities you listed without FLIR can be had for under $1000.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
It is not a violation of anyone rights if they are in the fields and woods. However, I don't think they would be useful because they are noisy and to observe hunters you need cover and stealth. You do not want to warn a violator they are being observed
So that's why your uniforms are green. I always thought it was a fashion statement.

I imagine sometime in the not too distant future high flying drones with high resolution cameras will become available to the general public. These would be ideal surveillance instruments. And quite controversial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
So that's why your uniforms are green. I always thought it was a fashion statement.

I imagine sometime in the not too distant future high flying drones with high resolution cameras will become available to the general public. These would be ideal surveillance instruments. And quite controversial.
Have been available for sometime. https://www.dji.com/
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMackanick View Post
Have been available for sometime. https://www.dji.com/
I don't know how truly stealthy and high rez those are, but perhaps they would fit the bill. I know there are drones out there that would be undetectable and you'd be able to just about tell the time on a watch with them, but in the recent past these were pretty expensive. But like all things technological, I imagine the price is dropping and the technology is getting better every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page