Scouting With Trail Cameras - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
View Poll Results: How many cameras are you running?
0-5 56 66.67%
6-10 12 14.29%
11-15 6 7.14%
16-20 3 3.57%
Over 20 7 8.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We run over 15 throughout the year. Nice to keep an eye on just who/what is moving out there. Came in handy last month as pics from one of my cameras plus an eye witness testimony got the owner of a couple dogs fined for allowing them to run wild and chase deer. Also useful in giving notice to trespassers.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:58 PM
New Arrival

I own over 20 and 1 cellular cam. Usually run them all from July till the end of buck season. Have 2 leases in Potter and a farm in SE PA. At late season usually run my cellular cam and 2 others cams to keep a eye on the heard down state were I hunt late season. Leave one of my cuddebacks with a auxiliary battery pack on 1 of my leases in Potter. The other lease we usually run 4 were my buddy can check them till sometime in February. I am totally addicted to the. The first one I had was a 35MM trail cam. They have come a long way since that !!!! With a solar pack my cellular camera batteries will last for 2 month, viewing them on my phone and computer. Just adding to the addition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Hunting Potter Mike
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:02 PM

Last year ran 12 T. cams each of my buddies have 6-8 apiece. We have them set over 3 different very large hunting areas. In the past years I have concerated on feed areas and well traveled routes; however, after spending a few days tracking deer in the snow I am switching more to bed downs and lesser traveled trails leading to areas buck tend to bed. I also purchased a couple of additional cams.

I enjoy running them from Mid July to the end of gun season then again until the end of Jan.

Then probably Spring gobbler season I will set a few to try to locate a few mature gobblers as the last couple of Springs I have been waisting a lot of time calling in Jakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your first poll answer doesn't tell you anything.....you don't distinguish between those who don't do ANY trail camming and those who do a bit, but are not all eat up in it.

I realize you are doing this for fun, but if you are going to ask a question, you might as well get good data.

Make the first choice, "I don't run trail cams."

The go in increments of 1-2 i.e,. 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc....is doesn't cost anything to add answer choices.

Just trying to help....survey data collection is what I do.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:20 PM

my dad and I sometimes run 1 or 2 various times of the year
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:21 PM
The Man

I own four and had two out this fall. I never used them at all until about three years ago. It gives useful info but I don't rely on them completely.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmaster4 View Post
None.
Same here, not a one. I did buy one. I set it up and got some pics of deer and coyotes and bear, turkeys and a grouse, coon, and a whatever I couldn't make out. Then,,,,,I took it down and gave it away. I found out I don't want to know what is, and more importantly what is not, in the woods. I like to scout, see a buck or bear. Get a glimpse of a big rack when I'm cutting wood or mowing, but I like to be able to think that maybe my buck of a lifetime is in the area this year. Or maybe an 800 pound bear has found his way to my side of the mountain.
Now don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with trail cams and nothing wrong with enjoying them. Its another great way for some to enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I think that's a good thing. Its just not for me. I like the mystery. Years ago I found out I felt the same way about fish finders on boats. I don't want to know if there's fish down there for sure, i want to imagine that big one that MIGHT be there. Or that school of perch that MIGHT be moveing in. Nope, no fish finder on my old canoe, no trail cam in my woods. So no telling what MIGHT be there and that's how I like it.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:23 PM

If you get a shooter buck picture, you know one is in the area somewhere. How many times you capture his picture or at how many locations can provide a little more information. If you are able to pattern him you have something to work with, however, I have gotten many shooter buck pictures to never be seen again. Just this past year 2 tens and a very nice 9.

One year got a picture of a high rack 10 point, he never appears on any of my 8-9 cams that year; however, I took him about a mile away.

The unfortunate benefit often comes when you have your cam set on a stand location you did not hunt that day and the shooter buck did not appear.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
If you get a shooter buck picture, you know one is in the area somewhere. How many times you capture his picture or at how many locations can provide a little more information. If you are able to pattern him you have something to work with, however, I have gotten many shooter buck pictures to never be seen again. Just this past year 2 tens and a very nice 9.

One year got a picture of a high rack 10 point, he never appears on any of my 8-9 cams that year; however, I took him about a mile away.

The unfortunate benefit often comes when you have your cam set on a stand location you did not hunt that day and the shooter buck did not appear.
Love to run cams. But learned a long time ago not to count on some of those bucks being there after the summer is over and the velvet comes off. Same as in winter time bucks will show up I never saw before stick around for a little while and disappear not to be seen again. It’s good to see what shows up during the rut and ones that stay in your area.
Run 4 to 8 most of the year. Gotta say I like having SD cards in my pocket I haven’t looked at yet. Fun!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page