Hemp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hemp?

I know that there are a lot of factors that have contributed to the decline and eventual extirpation of game birds like pheasant and quail in PA. Farming practices, habitat, disease, predators, etc. are all part of it. I suspect that the banning of industrial hemp cultivation probably played a part in it. It was banned in 1970 and was eradicated from ditches and waste areas in the following years. This seems to be when the decline in bird populations was just starting.

Now with the push to legalize industrial hemp propagation, do you guys think there might be better opportunity for wild quail and pheasant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:17 PM

No. The stuff is like silage corn, gone cut long before it would help.

I grew a bunch of hemp last year for the deer. They didnt touch it. It didnt hold up once the snow came, not like switchgrass.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Sage

The end of growing hemp had nothing to do with the demise of the ring neck pheasant. When hemp was being grown the pheasants were just begining to be started as a hunting population in the country. What was the most important issue was clean farming, no till farming, the removal of hedge rows and the extirpation of weeds in the rows of cornfields by the use of round up instead of cultivators, the invention of the haybine and the end of the sickle bar to cut hay and the beginning of more hay cutting a year than before in order to sell hay as a money maker instead of to feed the farmers cattle.. Back when we had pheasants in southeast PA in Lebanon Co. which was one of the best places for pheasants, the weeds in the corn rows were full of weeds, some 4 and 4 feet high, all with seeds that were pheasant food. Now if the field is straight enough you can almost look down a row and see the other end of the field. Additionally, the demise of the corn picker in favor of the corn combine which leave no corn stalks and corn on cobs on the ground added another nail in the pheasant coffin. Then came the final blow, avian flu which knocked back the populations that were left. Until the day we can raise pheasants that eat dirt and nest on macadam, we will never come close to approaching the pheasant populations of the 50's 60's and 70's.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 AM

I remember the good ol' days that you speak of.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

We may find out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 03:35 PM

I think hemp would act more like a goldenrod.
however anything that gets harvested in todays age is not of much use to game birds.

that said ,since it is a native "weed" if it were to go rouge
I think the seed and cover it produces would be positive for wildlife in general

Da hawk ate my baby!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page