Fixed-blade broadhead testing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Fixed-blade broadhead testing

Last weekend I went out to a local archery shop that my buddy runs and tested quite a few broadheads. After zeroing in dead on with field points at 20 yards, I made numerous notes as I shot each head. My scope was never adjusted throughout the testing. I do not group shots because I don't want to destroy my bolts. Each broadhead was shot 6 times into the target, 3 at a time.

Crossbow: Tenpoint Titan HLX with a Hawke MAP scope.
Bolts: Victory XBolt with 2.1 Fusion vanes, aluminum flat nocks
Target: Rinehart 18-1
Distance: 20 yards

Broadhead list: ALL 100 grain!!!
Wasp SST Boss
Wasp Hi-Tech SST Hammer
Tru-Fire T1
Crimson Talon Hyper Speed
Muzzy 3-blade
Slick Trick standard
Cabela's FX-3
G5 Striker
NAP Thunderhead Edge

Reviews
Wasp SST Boss: Hit the bullseye 5 out of 6 shots. Shot slightly lower than my field points on each shot. Left to right was perfect.

Wasp Hi-Tech SST Hammer: Bullseye 4 out of 6 shots. Every shot seemed to sail slightly higher. All shots were about 1/4 inch higher than field points. Left to right was perfect again.

Tru-Fire T1: Bullseye 1 out of 6. Every shot was 1 inch low and 1 inch left. Blades on 2 of the heads came loose when pulling them out of the target.

Crimson Talon Hyper Speed: Bullseye 6 out of 6 shots. Every shot was extremely accurate, matched field points perfectly. The ONLY thing I noticed is that they didn't penetrate the target very well, I think due to the spiraling of the broadhead, but seems like they would do massive damage on animals.

Muzzy: Bullseye 4 out of 6 shots. 3 shots were excellent, the other 3 were low and to the right about 1/2 inch with 1 just hitting the bottom right of the bullseye.

Slick Trick standard: Bullseye 1 out of 6 shots. These surprised me. I thought these would fly great because I heard nothing but great things about them. 1 shot that hit the bullseye was half on and half off the yellow paint. The rest shot high 1 inch and to the left 1/2 inch.

Cabela's FX-3: Bullseye 5 out of 6 shots. All were great shots and the 1 that didn't hit was due to me moving. But, 4 out the 6 heads after pulling them out of my target the tips broke off and are still buried in my target somewhere. JUNK!

G5 Striker: Bullseye 3 out of 6 shots. Every shot was low and to the right and the 3 that barely sliced the bullseye were also in the bottom right corner of it. Also, when spin testing these, they wobbled quite a bit. Maybe a bad pack?

NAP Thunderhead Edge: Bullseye 2 out of 6 shots. These were the most inconsistent of all the heads I tested. I really don't know what to say about these. They are extrememly sharp, but one of the blades on one the heads was chipped off in the center of the blade.

Also to note, there was barely any wind at all at any time. And keep in mind that these were tested out of a TenPoint Titan HLX. All of them may shoot different out of different crossbows. As for me, I'm going to stick with the Wasp SST Boss for this season because I know they do excellent damage to big game and still hold up, and if anyone knows about the Crimson Talon Hyperspeed's penetration on animals please let me know because I would like to try them on deer sometime soon knowing how accurately they fly out of my TenPoint.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Fixed-blade broadhead testing

neat test but you need to know how they group not how they fly as compared to field points. my 2 cents is i dont care how they hit compared to field points but how well they group with the broad head of choice.

kool test you just need to go one more step. my slick tricks don't shoot same as field tips but group excennent.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATERDAVID
neat test but you need to know how they group not how they fly as compared to field points. my 2 cents is i dont care how they hit compared to field points but how well they group with the broad head of choice.

kool test you just need to go one more step. my slick tricks don't shoot same as field tips but group excennent.
I'll gladly group them if you're willing to buy me new bolts, nocks, vanes, etc. if I tear them up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

use multiple dot target.

like i said its a kool test, but grouping is important

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

God Bless America
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

The Rinehart 18-1 has multiple dots on each side. 5 to be exact.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

we await the report then

i didn't mean to nit pick your test just added my 2 cents. i would love to see the same test for groups

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

God Bless America
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

you only need to shoot 5 arrows or 3 arrows into your bail..shoot 1 and then pull then shoot it again and so on....to get group....just put a piece of cardboard or paper over your target after each group...the holes in the cardboard will give you your group....use 1 piece of cardboard for your 5 shot group with 1 head then change cardboard....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

nice test but i didn't see in your thread if shot from a sandbag rest or freehand....big difference between the two rest no matter what crossbow you use....i use slick trick 125gr mags from my excalibur exocet with groups within 2" at 50 yds with my 2117 XX75 alum arrows w/2" blazers and brass inserts, but i also have 21.6% FOC on my 550gr arrows that make them fly like there on a string too ....i was shocked at your results of them........bob

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961
nice test but i didn't see in your thread if shot from a sandbag rest or freehand....big difference between the two rest no matter what crossbow you use....i use slick trick 125gr mags from my excalibur exocet with groups within 2" at 50 yds with my 2117 XX75 alum arrows w/2" blazers and brass inserts, but i also have 21.6% FOC on my 550gr arrows that make them fly like there on a string too ....i was shocked at your results of them........bob

I always use sandbags for rests when i shoot, never free-handed. Thanks for mentioning.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

I think this type of testing a sand bag rest is needed for concistancy

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

God Bless America

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page