No more field points - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

No more field points

I've come to the conclusion that I will use only broadheads now, even for targets. After many hours of practice I don't think there's any field point/broadhead that shoot EXACTLY the same as each other. It makes sense to me anyway, as I'd rather practice constantly with what I'll actually be killing the deer with, not some field point that'll never see a day in the woods.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: No more field points

If you're field tips and broad heads don't shoot the same and very close, there is something wrong with your set up...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 AM
RB
Sage

I switch over in Sept. cause it is just too tough on my target to shoot boradheads all year. I zero with the broadheads but don't mess with the scope when I switch back to field points as it only moves about an inch and a half or so.

I agree that the shots you take at deer are the ones you want the least guesswork in, the taking of life factor is the whole reason the crossbow attracted me so much once we started shooting one. WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU to get to quick and clean at that moment of truth.

Can I ask what kind of target takes that kind of broadhead punishment?? I know my block does not.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB -HPA Admin
Can I ask what kind of target takes that kind of broadhead punishment?? I know my block does not.
Any target that Rinehart makes. I have the 18-1. I believe it can take many more years of broadhead abuse.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i made a BH target yesterday from 2" thick pink owens corning styro board from home depot that came 24" x 96" in size....i cut it in 19" section that gave me five 2" thick sections i glued together with 3M spray contact glue....the target is 19" high x 24" wide x 10" thick and only cost $14.70 and is hard as most 3D animal targets are....i used to use the red/white/blue white styro target from walmart that cost $17.00 and was way softer styro that you get in store bought electronic boxes, then what the pink stuff i just bought is....when my buddy gets his new xbow in a day or two and we set it up i'll have pictures of my target then ....my thoughts on this pink foam is that if you don't shoot the same spot it should last a good time, i have a bag target i use target tips on and will most likely use the pink target for BH's only before acrhery hunting practise........bob

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried your target yet. I made one last year that worked good but it took a lot to stop a bolt short of the fletching

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page