Why the Big Price difference? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Why the Big Price difference?

OK guys, be easy on me. I am a relative newbie to the crossbow world.

I have thought about a crossbow for several years (arthritis) but have resisted. And, every time I started thinking serious I back off because of price. It's hard for me to believe that some crossbows are worth upwards of $2000 when equipped with accessories..

And, then I look at the cheaper models and chicken out..

What makes a $2000 crossbow better than a $300?

Am I the only one who thinks they are way overpriced?

What is your recommendation for a decent crossbow for $300-$400??

Best regards, Glenn
PS, anybody want to sell one and upgrade?

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why the Big Price difference?

300-400 if new isnt much of a crossbow in my mind.....thats a walmart special...treat your xbow like your compound bow....same deal....buy from a good company and get a quality product with a great customer service dept....i thought just like you at one time and decided to spend the extra money and get a excaliber equinox....havent herd much bad about this company but what i have herd that was bad the company bent over backwards to fix it in a very timley manner....your gonna get what you pay for.....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Barnett Crossbows are cheaper and ONLY have a 1 year warranty but probably have killed more game then the others..Get on EBAY and get a Quad 400 from 300-400.They are nice crossbows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you want a true quality crossbow, you will likely spend around $600-$700 dollars. The brand won't matter. It takes a certain amount of money to buy into a quality crossbow, and the dollar amount is the same for all of them.

That being said, take a good look at the Parker Tornado. Almost every crossbow company out there has tried to copy it this year....and for good reason. It is one of the nicest crossbows I have shot. (I've shot them all, with the exception of some obsecure brands out there) It balances well, it's compact, fairly lightweight, has a decent trigger, comes with a lifetime warranty, it's accurate, and has many other features too numerous to list.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Glenn:

Arrowhead knows his stuff, so I am not about to try to discount his advice here. Having said that, I am/was a crossbow newbie, and bought a Parker Bushwacker six weeks ago. I have shot it with field tips and broadheads, and am extremely satisfied with it. It is in the "bargain basement" price range, but has Parker's warranty, so I felt like it was a good way to get my feet wet in the world of crossbows. I have never shot any other crossbow, so perhaps I'd be less satisfied if I had shot some of the higher-priced models before buying, I don't know. When I assembled it the first time, the main attachment screw was too long. I emailed Parker, and received the correct screw in the mail in 3 days, without having shown any proof of purchase, mailing a warranty card, or jumping through any other hoops.

To be honest, the main reason I bought a low-priced crossbow was because I wasn't sure I would like hunting with it, or if my kids would take to shooting it, and I didn't want to be selling a $1000 xbow at a big loss come summer 2011. Turns out that my kids shoot it very well(ages 6 to 11), and like to shoot it. Several of my friends who were also crossbow virgins have shot it, and agree that it is fun and addicting to shoot. In a few weeks, I'll find out whether I like hunting with it, but after a back yard test run with the climber and the crossbow, I don't see a problem so far.

I'm sure there are some reasons for the higher prices on the other models, but I hope no one points them out to me just yet; I'm having too much fun with the cheapy that I bought!

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 PM

Just remember you get what you pay for.

Never Misses
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn D
What makes a $2000 crossbow better than a $300?

Am I the only one who thinks they are way overpriced?

What is your recommendation for a decent crossbow for $300-$400??

Best regards, Glenn
PS, anybody want to sell one and upgrade?
Yes there are some very expensive crossbows out there. They are cool and fast but can be difficult to maintain. You can get the same performance from a few manufacturers for alot less money and find better warranties.

The meat of the crossbow market is in the $400-800 range. Anybody can find what they want in that range.

For $300-400 I would opt for the Parker BushWacker because it is a solid mid-performance bow that is relatively easy on itself and has a great warranty.

Excaliburs are bulletproof mid performance bows. Virtually no maintenance. Their cheapest one is around $500 though.

Good luck.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hey, Glenn.
I looked long and hard at the Excaliburs b/c string replacement would be a no brainer (no cables involved).
Really liked the speed, too.
However, was turned off by the LOUD report when fired.
I guess life's a compromise.
Sidenote: get yourself a cocking aid.
There's no way you can reload a crossbow in a climbing tree stand without one.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 PM

buy what you can aford but shoot more than one before you buy one i bought the horton vision and love it but it was 750.00 out the door.The Excaliburs are good but real wide the ten points are also a good one its all in what you like and want to spend The more you spend the better you will have i shoot all of them in my price rang befor i bought one. SO GOOD LUCK YOU HAVE ALOT TO CHOSE FROM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

imo the tornado is the top crossbow, but it fits me just right may not you.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page