TenPoint ?, Any advice would be great, thanks! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

TenPoint ?, Any advice would be great, thanks!

I have zero experience with crossbows, a buddy of mine gave me his to shoot in for him, so I attempted to do so. Even though that I fully explained to him that I have never held a crossbow before. He bought a TenPoint brand crossbow over to my house, brand new never fired and dropped it off. Are these things junk, or did he pick up a bad one somehow? I believe he paid $700.00 dollars for this thing , I would think that would at least be a middle of the road crossbow correct or? Is there a better crossbow for the money? Or should he just exchange this one for the same cross bow?

The reason being, everything worked great the first few shots at around shot 6-8 I could not load the weapon correctly. I would pull the string back and the only way that I could get it to lock back in place in the position that I could load an arrow, was to pull the string back with two hands, while pushing the safety forward with my thumbs. Otherwise it would jam up/would not let you lock the string back in a position that would let me load the weapon.

As I was saying, everything went/loaded smoothly for the first few shots, then I had to do that every couple of shots then eventually every shot/time I loaded the weapon. I should have stopped there.

Unfortunately I did not and things went downhill from there, I shot it in at 20 yards, it was kind of impressive really with a few minor adjustments I was regularly hitting a target slightly larger than size of a quarter. So I moved back to 30 and shot two arrows. After those it started shooting 18 inches low, dead center but 18 inches low?? So I moved back to 20 yards and dead center but 18 inches low? I never touched a thing it just started shooting 18 inches low. This blew my mind; I thought I was doing something wrong. So I shot a few more arrows with the same occurrences.

I then started to shoot it in again, I got it dialed in at 20 yards as I attempted to fire my last one from 20 yards the weapon went off by me pushing the safety forward. Nothing else was done no finger on the trigger nothing, I simply slid the safety forward and it went off. Thinking that this was a fluke, I moved back to 30 yards on my third shot the weapon went off again simply by moving the safety into the firing position. At this point enough was enough for me. Are these types

Any thoughts or input on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Snapper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 PM

Re: TenPoint ?, Any advice would be great, thanks!

A safety problem is way dangerous.The 18 low could be scope issue loose or bad.Being it is new I would take it back.I really think if he likes compound crossbows he should see about getting a Parker instead.His choice though.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM

nothing wrong with a ten point
This one has issues but over all they are good bows

Take it back to the shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

He is not stuck with this style of crossbow, he is brand-new to it all and I do not know that he did a lot of research. To be honest I was not sure what to think, should he switch manufactures or is this a fluke? Are there better options for his dollar? Are these problems common with this manufacture or crossbows in general?

He came to me even though I advised him of my inexperience with crossbows; I simple do not have the answers for him.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Snapper
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:26 PM
The Man

I would either bring it back to the store he bought it at
or send it in to Tenpoint and have them fix it. I have a
Tenpoint and it works well, only problem is the red dot
scope flickers on and off sometimes. They are a good brand
crossbow, it sounds like your friend just got a bad one?
Maybe Arrowhead could help?

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hmmm, I replied to this post yesterday and it's gone??
Anyway,
This is not typical of Ten Point. They build quality bows. Your problem is that something is blocking your trigger/string latch. You should return it to the store where you got it or call Ten Point and they will get you fixed up.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks, he is returning it directly to the company and they are sending him a new one. After hearing from you all I am not worried about him sticking with the TenPoint brand.

Thanks for all of the great advice,

Snapper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page