Horton Crossbows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
CD
Part of the Community

Horton Crossbows

I was at a archery shop today, and they has a Vision they were trying to sell me. I didn't want it, because Horton was out of business and what if I needed parts or repair. They said Thompson Center bought them and would cover the warranty. This is different from everything I have read,has anyone else heard this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Horton Crossbows

Spend a few minutes cruising the web for problems with Horton crossbows. You will find more bad service and poor quality reports in no time at all to help with your decision. They made some good bows, but they also made a lot of duds. Right now, retailers and personal sellers are all dumping the product they have left. The decision is up to you if the deal is good enough to chance the outcome.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought a Horton Havoc last year for $585. If you can buy one this year for $400, then I'd say buy it....but for more than that I'd say go with a brand name that's going to be there if or when something breaks.

As far as T\C buying it, that's the first time I've heard that. T\C is a subsidiary of Smith 'n Wesson...and I doubt if Smitty bought it. But, I could be wrong on that.

SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Thought ten point bought horton
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ten bought "some" of the assets of Horton. The former co-founder of Horton moved on to help either form Ten point, or move Ten point up to be a major player. He had an axe to grind with the now bankrupt owners of Horton. So, from what I understand, Ten Point bought just enough assets from the former Horton so that Horton can never rise from the ashes again, yet Ten Point will not honor any Horton warranties nor fix any Horton broken crossbows.

So, when my Horton breaks, or needs replaced, what do you think the chances of me buying a Ten Point are when there are other quality crossbow makers out there?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I believe the Bednars, who own Ten Point were once part of Horton. From everything that I have read on Archery Talk and Crossbow Nation there was no axe to grind as has been stated. Rick Bednar has stated that the Horton name was sentimental to him, as I believe his father had something to do with the startup of Horton back in the day. Not sure why people expect Ten Point to honor Horton warranties when they had nothing in the process of making them or made nothing off of them being sold. It [censored] but that is unfortunately how it played out. To blame Ten Point for any of this as many are makes no sense but many still choose to do so since blaming Horton isn't going to make their situation any better. Ten Point has said that they are going to resurrect the Horton name in the future.

As far as the Thompson Center aspect of Horton, Greg Ritz who is like the CEO or some other high up position of TC also was one of the last owner of Horton leading up to their collapse, so maybe the shop thought that since Ritz was part owner of both TC and Horton, the warranty would be honored, but I have heard nothing on that though.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
CD
Part of the Community

That's how I see it too. Not sure I want to gamble on Horton, with no one to stand behind it "if" something would break.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 PM

I have sold at least 30 of the vision in the last 2 years and none of us every had trouble with them yet i also sold 5 havocs in the last 6 months and everyone loves them i also have 1 fury of my own you would never get from me so as of horton bows being junk i guess we all just got the only good ones out their by the wat my dad just got one because his tenpoints limbes broke and its takeing forever to here back from them
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They made some decent stuff, they made some junk. Huntermax, Explorer, some Vision, were all subject to recalls and some lawsuits over the past few years for defective limbs and limb mounting systems. The more recent Realtree series often require limb service and new strings after a few dozen shots. Nobody makes or sells a perfect crossbow, but Horton put out some badly engineered stuff, that is well documented.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:32 AM

Not sure why anyone would feel that Tenpoint should stand behind the old Horton Bows. They didn't buy the company, but just bought some of the assets. Why should the warranty something they didn't build?

Even though I never owned a Horton bow, I was sad to see them go under and feel bad for anyone that currently owns one as parts will probably be very difficult to buy.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page