Few Questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Few Questions

They may be stupid too though I am totally newbie on crossbow front...
Loading/treestand: I suppose you want to cock it before you climb your tree...then load with bolt once you pull it up to your position?

Unloading..I take it you need a target to unload..though hate to "waste" shooting a bolt at a stump while out hunting and no target available (bring a "junk" bolt for this maybe?). or do you manually uncock it? and what is process of that, seems dangerous.

Broadheads: Can I use the 125 gr broadheads I use for hunting with my bow? or do they specifically make them for the bolts.

Bolt nocs: there seems to be 3 diff types of nocs for the bolts. What is difference? I suppose they may vary with xbow manufacturer ....

Thanks for input
Willy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Re: Few Questions

I cock before getting in the tree and load after getting situated.
I carry a old bolt and fire into the dirt.
I use mechanical's but I asked about broadheads.
The nocx are to what the xbow specified.

I am also just 3 years in so I too am still learning.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDegamma
They may be stupid too though I am totally newbie on crossbow front...
No questions are stupid. We are glad to help.

Quote:
Loading/treestand: I suppose you want to cock it before you climb your tree...then load with bolt once you pull it up to your position?
I prefer to cock mine before I climb. Just safer that way if using a rope cocker. With a crank, not as big of a deal. If pulling your bow up after it is cocked, make sure no arrow is loaded and do not grab the bow anywhere near the path of the string.

Quote:
Unloading..I take it you need a target to unload..though hate to "waste" shooting a bolt at a stump while out hunting and no target available (bring a "junk" bolt for this maybe?). or do you manually uncock it? and what is process of that, seems dangerous.
Most crossbows will need to be fired to unload them. Excalibur, Kodabow and CamX can be decocked manually. There is a great video on Excaliburs site on how to do this. With other bows, you have to use a junk arrow into the ground or many companies are now making small portable discharge targets for this purpose. Also, there are arrows specifically designed for discharging crossbows. They are heavy and heavy blunt ends so they will not bury in the ground.

Quote:
Broadheads: Can I use the 125 gr broadheads I use for hunting with my bow? or do they specifically make them for the bolts.
Regular broadheads will work just fine in crossbows with the exception of some mechanicals. Because of the rapid acceleration stroke, some mechanicals will deploy their blades prematurely resulting in iffy accuracy or the blades hitting the foot stirrup. If using mechanicals, safer to use ones that saw "crossbows" on them to be sure.

As for weight. If your arrows have aluminum inserts up from, go heavier. 125 and up to increase the front of center balance. If you arrows have brass inserts, 100 grains is perfect.

Quote:
Bolt nocs: there seems to be 3 diff types of nocs for the bolts. What is difference? I suppose they may vary with xbow manufacturer ....
There are moon nocks, similar capture nocks, flat nocks and a new universal nock called the omninock. Each manufacturer has it own recommendation so follow those. Generally, it is safe to shoot omninocks and moon nocks out of any bow, though. It is not safe to shoot flats out of bows designed for moons or captures.

Quote:
Thanks for input
You are welcome and best of luck!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:27 PM

dpms hit the nail on the head. One thing I would add is that for getting out of the treestand, I remove the arrow and then lower the bow. I wait until I am back at the truck or house before letting the bow down or shooting it to discharge it. Just make sure to put an arrow back in.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great stuff, I appreciate the assistance. The "dummy" bolt seems like good idea. Any advice on types of bolts and/or brands? fwiw I have a Barnett WildcatC5.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 PM

I like the Octane Thug decocking arrow. I believe Arrowhead likes that one as well.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Octane Thug. Great tool for unloading. Ten Point Cub (crossbow unloading bolt) works as well.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Part of the Community

dpms nailed it. I would refrain from shooting a "junk" bolt into the ground though. First time out with my x bow i did this and ended up hitting a rock in ground and it blew up my bolt. So needless to say i carry a small block target in the back of my truck and discharge the bolt into it.

Sitting here wating on a deer wishing on a star i will always be true to my heart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page