1st Round with the Bushwacker - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

1st Round with the Bushwacker

Had a few minutes to get started with the Bushwacker tonight. It initially shot very low and slightly right, but after adjusting it up quite a bit, I had it hitting right on at 15-16 yards. I did not get my bench out, thinking I'll fine tune it next time. So had it 18 yards from the edge of my deck, which made a nice seat for the kids. Set a little table in front of them for a rest, and my 11 y.o and 6 y.o., plus my nephew (somewhere in between), all took a turn. All of them were right on the money, and loved it. My wife gave it a try with the same results.

Before putting it away, I backed up to 25 yards, which meant I was sitting on my deck railing, with one knee up to rest my elbow. Not exactly a stable position. But I just wanted to see generally at what range the first 'dot' on the reticle would be "on". The first shot went just low and a bit right. Now I've read all about not shooting "groups" at 25 yards, but with a less than perfect shooting position . . .

I won't do that again.

Hard to see in the pic, but the field tip hit the nock, and split out the top of the arrow, deflecting slightly so that it hit the target 1/4" above the first. Either I am extremely unlucky, or this thing shoots pretty good.

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 AM

Re: 1st Round with the Bushwacker

Great to see ya got to shooting and thanks for posting about it. What were your impressions of the bow?

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like it! Keep in mind that I don't know exactly how things "should" go, but the biggest reason I got this is for my kids to use, and after shooting it once, they are practically begging to shoot it.

I like the overall weight/balance of the crossbow. Of course it is 'front-heavy', but I expected that. While drawing it, one thing that surprised me was that when I have it pulled about 2/3 of the way back, there is a "rough spot" in the draw, where the resistance increases a bit, then breaks over a bump, and returns to a lower resistance the rest of the way back. Hard to describe it, but so far I'm thinking that it happens when the wrapped part of the cable on the left temporarily binds against the unwrapped cable below it, before slipping by, creating that "bump" as it does so. I have to keep watching next time, as I'm not positive that that is what it is, but not sure what else to blame it on just yet. Maybe that is typical?

Having set it down and pulled it just a bit of the way by hand, I was initially concerned that drawing it may put too much stress on my back (disc issue, which is the other reason for getting this thing). But the cocking rope makes it simple, and the muscle groups used don't affect the unstable part of my back.

I like the fit and feel of the bow for myself. So far only my 6 y.o. looks outsized by it, but with a rest, he can obviously still do the job. The only real reported 'downsides' that I had read about for this crossbow were the lower draw weight, and the lack of camo on the stock. The lower draw weight suits me fine, given my back issue, and the fact that my setups tend to be in places where a 30 yard opportunity is extremely rare. And I realized last evening that, when I'm looking through the scope, I can't even tell whether the stock is camo or not. Seriously, I don't intend to hunt turkeys with this thing, and for deer, having only the limbs camo'ed should be more than adequate, IMO.

I had also read that the quality is not quite as good as the upper end bows. I don't know any better, because I did not shoot upper end bows before buying, having already made the decision to content myself with something that is functional, without being top of the line, at least until I've had a chance to see if crossbows are for us. I really didn't want to be the guy who sinks a grand in getting setup, only to post it here in the classifieds one year later, because it's "not for me". I was looking for a crossbow that will do the job without busting my budget, and so far, I think I found one.

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng270
I was looking for a crossbow that will do the job without busting my budget, and so far, I think I found one.
Parker makes good stuff and I have shot most of their lineup except the BushWacker. It should serve you well do everything that you ask of it. I kinda like black bows. The best looking crossbow I ever saw, IMO, was a Parker Tornado decked out in the black carbon fiber look. Arrowhead owns that one.

Good luck with it this fall.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
The best looking crossbow I ever saw, IMO, was a Parker Tornado decked out in the black carbon fiber look. Arrowhead owns that one.
I no longer own it. I sold it last year before the late season. There is hardly a day goes by I don't regret that decision.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page