Crossbow Advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Crossbow Advice

I would like to get into crossbow hunting next year. I want to take my time this fall and do some research. I don't know much about the quality of each particular brand other than what I have read on HPA. Any advice that you "experts" are willing to provide is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Crossbow Advice

Recurve or compound, price, speed, size.how will u be hunting with it, ( ground, tree stand)

Bowtech Strikezone 380 - XB30
Monster MR6- HHA - QAD Ultra Rest
Middleton Black 375 SS - XB30
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Definitely a compound. That is the only decision I have made so far. Just gathering info on the rest. Is the difference if it is used in a tree stand or ground? I have hunted out of tree stands before with a rifle so I udnerstand the angle, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to deerpusher Send a message via Yahoo to deerpusher

Well I may be the only one that says this but... I personally am a regular compound bow hunter. My dad hurt his back in a car accident and has to use a crossbow. I got him an inverted one last year by Horton. A vision 175 but Horton got bought out. I love the inverted because of the balance of the bow. Now I haven't shot all the new ones so my word isn't the final one. But if I were buying I would at least consider an inverted. Very nice balance and still has the capability of breaking 300 fps.

hunt hard, die rich
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

TenPoint...nuff said.

God Bless the USA.

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Banned

Why wait until next year? If you're experienced with bow hunting you should be able to buy a crossbow and take it out and shoot maybe 10 shots to sight the scope in and you're ready to go.

Even if you're not an experienced bow hunter you should be good to go after a few target shooting sessions with the crossbow. Get a scope that has at least 20, 30 and 40 yards markings. Just take good clean shots out to 40 yards when shooting at your deer.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would get out to your local shops or go to cabelas and shoot as many bows as you can and narrow it down to the ones that fit and feel best to you, then you could look for input on those particular bows.with the bows out nowadays though you really can't go wrong with many of them.I spent over 4 hrs. at cabelas shooting just about every crossbow they had until making a purchase.And I will do the same when I'm ready to buy another one.

Sniper 370 / victory X bolts / shockwave 100grn / KI lumix with speedring (mine)
Parker Tornado (sons)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Lung 20
TenPoint...nuff said.
If you are a millionaire of extra hundreds mean nothing to ya...and frankly I don;t really like how they shoulder at all, nor the clanky built in cocker.

There are a zillion brands all of a sudden. Back when I dove in the first year you could in PA, Parkers and Excals were the really the only ones mentioned when someone asked a question like this. Parkers if you wanted compound, Excals if you wanted recurve limbs.

Now as expected the market is full of choices and prices ranges...My steps would be 1. pick style compound or recurve 2. pick a price range 3. PM arrowhead on here and tell him your answers to 1 and 2, sounds like you want to base your decision on research, well arrowhead does his research, in fact I am waiting to here his report on the Native as we speak.

Lots here give advice based off the one they have since they dropped their dough there, IE I would recommend Parkers cause I got 3 of them and love how they feel and had nothing but backstraps and racks with them....BUT Mike (arrowhead gives advice based off the tests he has done. in fact, I am contacting him real soon for crossbow #4 for my hunting gang..and it may not be a Parker this time. I did shoulder thma all this summer at a bass Pro, that is good advice if on-line buying. Go and shoulder them and look them over...but you may be better to buy elsewhere and get better service and packages...etc..

Good luck with it all! Hunting with the crossbow is the most fun i ever had in the woods largely because it turned my archery hunting from a solo pursuit to a family one, hands down my favorite thing to do now and I (we) don;t even have any shoulder injuires or anything...LOL...just love being in the woods as much as possible with as many family members as possible.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM

I went with the crossbow because my shoulder surgeries wouldn't let me use my bow any more but it kept me archery hunting (with my son). If possible shoot as many as possible, ask people for their thoughts and pick out the one YOU think fits you the best! There are a ton of good ones find the one that fits your budget/needs and have a blast!

I have always hunted out of a tree stand the biggest problem I had was getting used to the horizontal bow compared to the vertical bow, got to watch what you can hit.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I'm not an archery hunter, although did try it a few years back. Just didn't care for it. I just don't want to make the same "mistake" and invest in equipment and not enjoy crossbow hunting. That is the mistake I made with buying a compound bow. I went bear hunting in Canada this summer and a guy killed one with a crossbow so I spoke with him. it looks like it is a lot of fun.

Any other guys on here not care for "traditional" archery hunting, but enjoy crossbow hunting?

Do most archery shops let you shoot the crossbows prior to buying? Not sure I want to invest in a TenPoint although I have heard good things.

Thanks for all your input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page