Making the switch. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Making the switch.

Well sold my vert bow yesterday so I'm making the switch. got a bad back so going to try the crossbow for awhile. now to go look around and see what I like. been reading about the wicked ridge line online they seam pretty good for the money. I'm looking to stay around 500 to see how I like a crossbow. any other bows I should look at in this price raange?

life member of nahc
buckmasters member
pa fly fish member
nra member
ducks unlimited member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Making the switch.

Don't be afraid to buy that Wicked Ridge used, there can be some good deals if you look and are patient. Excellent service on those bows as well.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Tough to beat the Wicked Ridge for a compound style at that price point.

Of you are into the simplicity of a recurve style. Look at the Excalibur Axiom. about the same price but bulletproof. You will give up some speed and it will be a bit louder.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Dpms what are the pros and cons of compound vs recurve? I have been looking at the warrior and invader. Invader is a little faster and comes with the accudraw. how important is speed with crossbows with my vert bows I always shot mid weight or heavy arrows. I'm going to check out a few shops friday and handle a few diff bows and see what I like.

life member of nahc
buckmasters member
pa fly fish member
nra member
ducks unlimited member
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter0131
Dpms what are the pros and cons of compound vs recurve? I have been looking at the warrior and invader. Invader is a little faster and comes with the accudraw. how important is speed with crossbows with my vert bows I always shot mid weight or heavy arrows. I'm going to check out a few shops friday and handle a few diff bows and see what I like.
I am not a speed guy. In fact I tend to shoot heavy arrows which slow the bow down even more. Slower arrows tend to be more accurate, will quiet the bow down, be easier on the bow itself and aid penetration. Even a slow crossbow is often faster than the top end compounds.

As far as recurve versus compound. This is a debate that goes round and round. I own and shoot both.

Recurves are almost bulletproof and require much less maintenance. The tend to balance better and are lighter up front. No cams to go out of sync and the string can be changed without a bow press. On the flip side, they are generally louder with more vibration, wider and they will be slower than a compound style of the same weight. Cocking can be more difficult because the force increases as it nears the end of the stroke and that is where you run out of leverage.

Compounds will be faster, much narrower, quieter and usually easier to cock. On the flip side, the require more maintenance, bow press to change the string and are front heavy. Center serving life can be less as the string angle is more accurate as well.

Really comes down to personal preference. I have killed plenty of deer with both and I enjoy hunting with both types for various reasons.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Tough to beat the Wicked Ridge for a compound style at that price point.

Of you are into the simplicity of a recurve style. Look at the Excalibur Axiom. about the same price but bulletproof. You will give up some speed and it will be a bit louder.
X2. I agree, the Wicked Ridge and Excalibur are the best value out there. Trouble free as well.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Arrowhead thanks for your input I will def get ahold of you when I ready to buy. How much diffrence is there between the warrior and invader other than the accudraw?

life member of nahc
buckmasters member
pa fly fish member
nra member
ducks unlimited member
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you have a bad back, you may want to consider the Ten Point Accudraw. I discovered that even with a rope cocker (or Accudraw 50), my back would start objecting to cocking my xbow after 6 or 7 shots.

80% of Americans believe in miracles. The other 20% have been audited.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 PM

I would recomend a compound style if your hunting out of a treestand and a recurve if your on the ground or in a ground blind. Love my parker tornado though
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info so far. Think I'm going compound style looked at the wicked ridge invader the other day they feel nice. Anyone have any info on the barnett quad 400 a guy I work with has a buddy selling one. It only been shot a few times and he needs money so the price is pretty tempting.

life member of nahc
buckmasters member
pa fly fish member
nra member
ducks unlimited member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page