Horton Explorer HD 150 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Horton Explorer HD 150

There seems to be quite a few of these floating around in the $200 range. Does anyone know anything about this xbow? Some reviews indicate there may be potential problems with the scope mount and it may be a little cumbersome. Thanks.

- Wise Men Still Seek Him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Horton Explorer HD 150

Look into the parker enforcer way better bow. I was checking one out this weekend. Very sweet bow.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

X2 on the Enforcer. Give me a call and I'll be happy to tell you all about the Explorer. There are some things better left unsaid, on an open forum.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What is wrong with the Explorer? I just committed to buy one on Wensday. Paying $200 for it. It looks new.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

between me, my dad and my brother we have 8 horton crossbows and have been hunting with them since the disabilty permits came out(we all have shoulder problems)and have shot many deer with the hortons,we only ever had a major issue with my brothers hunter max,no matter what you did you could not hold a group with that thing,it was back to horton 3 times and they kept saying nothing was wrong with it.that thing has now become a paper weight and he now shoots a horton legend 175,my 9 yr. old son is shooting my old yukon and at 30 yards can put every arrow in the 3 inch bullseye.horton makes decent crossbows for the price.this year my dad and I both switched to parkers he got a tornado and I got a cyclone and the parkers are definately a step above the hortons,they have less vibration,more consistent accuracy at longer ranges,quieter. just an all around better crossbow but the hortons served us well for many years.

Sniper 370 / victory X bolts / shockwave 100grn / KI lumix with speedring (mine)
Parker Tornado (sons)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks, guys. I'll take your word for it, arrowhead. . .just curious as to why so many are out there all around $200 and many say they only used it for one season.

- Wise Men Still Seek Him
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

They probobly aren't happy with the performance and need to sell to buy another bow would be my quess. It'll kill deer but its nowhere near a parker excaliber or ten point for performance or quality. Just my 2 cents

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Part of the Community

I have used the 150 for many years have had no problems with it and hve killed many deer with it. Complete passthur on every deer. I guess a ten point or parker could have killed them more dead than they were.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 PM

Horton is a crossbow keystone and probably always will be. They have a very loyal following and are putting out some quality stuff at the moment with the restructuring. The new reverse limb Vision and the Ultralight TRT are getting some rave reviews.

Horton has had its ups and downs over the past several years but their bread and butter is the Summit, Explorer and various 175 models.

They have sold tons of these models and will continue to do so. They are entry level crossbows and nothing more. They will kill a deer as good as a $1000 BowTech. There has been some customer service issues of late but with Greg Ritz at the helm I am hopeful that will improve.

There are lemons among all crossbow makes. Parker had problems with the limbs blowing up two years ago but it seems to have rectified. Some makes are generally more reliable than others.

If someone likes their Horton and wants to buy another, have at it. You are the one that it matters most to. Once the crossbow bug bites hard, maybe you will yearn for a step up. Maybe not.

Enjoy the sport no matter what you carry.

All these forums are is an arena to share opinions and discuss tactics, tips and equipment. The advise is invaluable but decisions come down to a personal choice.

Good luck.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

well , i bought the horton explorer. it seems like a really nice crossbow for the price. its lighter than my horton yukon was and seems better balanced. all in all its a nice set up for $200.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page