Excalibur Matrix Review - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Excalibur Matrix Review

I'm impressed!
Narrow, light and compact are not words gernerally reserved for Excalibur....but in this case I'll make an excpetion. The 380 is 30.62 wide uncocked and 25.75 cocked. The 355 is 30.62 uncocked and 26.31 cocked. It might not be what some would call narrow, but this is a recurve and that is an amazing number for a recurve.

Cocking.
There has been alot of speculation about how this bow would be to get cocked. In all honesty, it's much easier for me to cock the 260 lb. Matrix 380 than it was to get the 225 lb. Exomax cocked. It has to do with the power stroke being so much shorter. You are cocking in the "power" part of the lift to cock it, rather than the "upper" part of the lift. (if that makes sense)

Sound.
It's loud. Most Excaliburs are, and that is no secret. How loud it it? I have sound meter app on my phone. It registered 81db. Nearly every crossbow I tested registered 79-81db with Scorypd being the exception. The duration of the sound is very sharp and quick. The bow's sound "settles" very quickly. It showed as a sharp spike on the sound meter, rather than a large hump. Again, I suspect it has to do with the short power stroke.

Accuracy.
I split an arrow. I really didn't mean to....LOL! It's an Excalibur. It will be accurate.

Trigger.
I expected the trigger to pull harder because of the 260 lb. holding weight. I'm actually not sure why it didn't? It felt like 2 1/2 or possibly 3 lbs. It broke clean and there were no surprises other than it felt lighter than I expected. Possibly it has to do with the new design. There could be a lever in the new trigger that lets it get more leverage? I don't honestly know.

Optics.
Well, there has to be something negative in everything. I'm not a fan of the chevron aiming point. I would much rather have a crosswire. Put the new 30mm Hawke 1.5 x 5 on this and you have a winning combination. (more on the new Hawke in a bit) That being said, if you like the chevron you will like this scope. It's not as clear as the Hawke, but it's adequate for a 40 yard scope.

The new stock felt great and shouldered well and it's comfortable to hold. The cheek weld lines your eye up with the scope very well. The rubber panels are a nice addition and give the stock some grip. The balance is good and it feels like they hit it spot on.

Anti-dryfire.
Excalibur has an anti-dryfire now. It fits every model of crossbow they have made. It also allows you to de-cock your bow at the end of the day, just like you always have. You just push a lever now to release it.

I'm seriously considering hunting with this one this fall. It would have to be black of course. This bow rates as one of the most impressive crossbows at the ATA this season.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM

Re: Excalibur Matrix Review

Had a feeling it was gonna be loud. I like the adf than can be bypassed to uncock. Nice feature for sure. The Matrix is the "buzz" crossbow of 2013 for sure.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 04:13 AM

Well I ordered a black 380 from Mike (Arrowhead), so hopefully next weekend I will be able to give my review on it. I am following Mike's recommendation and putting the new 30mm Hawke 1.5X5 on it instead of the factory scope. I am really excited to try this bow out.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mike, Steve from Excal and Barry from Woodys both said yesterday that the next batch wont ship until Feb 1st. Everything has been backordered until then. Did that change???

The whole secret of the study of nature

lies in learning how to use one's eyes
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was told we would see ours sometime the first week of Feb. I suspect we will have more before then, but you never know. I have a few connections in the crossbow world and got lucky enough to find one for cspot. The camo are gone, if you want black we can probably find one. I only wish I had ordered more of them......

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
New Arrival

Mike would you say the 355 and 380 cocks compared to the axiom? Thats the only thing i can compare to. I can cock axiom very easy but don't know how hard the matrix would be. I would like to order one but am afraid if its hard to cock I won't like it. There's no one around here that has any.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's harder than the Axiom for sure. That being said, they are not what most people would think. I had a picture in my head of how they were going to cock. That quickly became a dream. The reality is, they are not that difficult to cock because they only get hard to pull in the last inch of the power stroke and your hands are just below your belt.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 PM
New Arrival

OK thanks. is there much difference is cocking between the 355and 380?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The 355 and 380 will be virtually the same. It's not so much the poundage that makes it difficult, but the position of the handles in relation to your body. The higher you have to pull, the harder it will be to pull.

Think of it this way. Take a 5 gallon bucket of water. Place it by your side. Bend at the knees and get ahold of the handle. Now lift it up to your belt. Not bad....but now lift it up to your shoulder following the side of your body. It gets much tougher to lift right? Same thing as cocking a crossbow. The higher you lift the more difficult it becomes. The 225 lb. Excalibur was harder to cock than the new 260 lb. Matrix because of the longer power stroke.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM
New Arrival

Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page