hype on speed. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

hype on speed.

whats with all the hype on how fast a bow can shoot? expecally when a heavier arrow and head will do far superior damage. yeah you cant shoot twice as far and impress your buddys with a lighter setup but anything within 30yds is drt with a heiver setup .which 30yds is as far as most shoot anyway. id take a heavy arrow traveling at 290-310fps any day over a lighter setup flying at 320-340fps. the kenetic energy is just insane with a heavy setup. it is a disadvantage at longer distances but why take away weight when you can have insane penatration an more kenetic energy. the fps I used is just an examle over most crossbows. I shoot a bow that is around 300fps and have found that a heavier setup is a serious advantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Re: hype on speed.

I am in the speed is overrated and over hyped camp when it comes to crossbows. I prefer mine in the 320-350 range.
Once we start to get higher than that, alot of stress to imparted on the bow itself and accuracy can begin to suffer.

I am also somewhat concerned that the emphasis on speed as the potential to hurt our sport moving forward with many states yet to go that do not allow crossbows in archery. Archery was and still is a close range sport. We all should never lose sight of that.

I would much prefer that the manufacturers focus on better triggers, reliability, weight, compactness and safety.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Part of the Community

i shoot a heavy setup out of my parker tornado...125 grain slick trick magnums and a carbon express red hot bolt...was shooting a 150 grain excalibur boltcutter broadhead but think i was getting way to much drop on my shots way too early into a shot

Parker Tornado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
I would much prefer that the manufacturers focus on better triggers, reliability, weight, compactness and safety.
X2

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:15 PM

Speed kills
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc5028
Speed kills
kinetic engergy,accuracy,and well built broadheads kill.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 PM

more speed = more kinetic energy
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
True to a point. Usually as a trade off, you will give up arrow weight to gain speed. By giving up weight, you are insuring that your arrow will slow rapidly. Drag on the fletching works much faster on a light arrow.

Taken from the Beginner's Guide to Crossbows - Crossbow Magazine Book Series:
Momentum should be an important part of any discussion concerning speed, weight and downrange performance. Momentum is speed multiplied by mass. Letís say that we shoot a 350 grain arrow out of a given crossbow and get 330 fps(feet per second). Shooting a 418 grain arrow achieves 310 fps out of the same bow. Using this example, we will use gr/fs(grains per foot second). The 330 fps arrow will yield 115,500 gr/fs. The 418 fps arrow will yield 129,580 gr/fs.

What does this all mean? The advantage of the heavier arrow is that as the arrow tries to slow down, momentum tires to keep it going. Kinetic energy quantifies the amount of work the arrow could do as a result of the motion, but the momentum is what will get it there. Downrange, the heavier arrow will be traveling faster than the lighter arrow, resulting in more energy transfer and better trajectory.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead
Quote:
True to a point. Usually as a trade off, you will give up arrow weight to gain speed. By giving up weight, you are insuring that your arrow will slow rapidly. Drag on the fletching works much faster on a light arrow.

Taken from the Beginner's Guide to Crossbows - Crossbow Magazine Book Series:
Momentum should be an important part of any discussion concerning speed, weight and downrange performance. Momentum is speed multiplied by mass. Letís say that we shoot a 350 grain arrow out of a given crossbow and get 330 fps(feet per second). Shooting a 418 grain arrow achieves 310 fps out of the same bow. Using this example, we will use gr/fs(grains per foot second). The 330 fps arrow will yield 115,500 gr/fs. The 418 fps arrow will yield 129,580 gr/fs.

What does this all mean? The advantage of the heavier arrow is that as the arrow tries to slow down, momentum tires to keep it going. Kinetic energy quantifies the amount of work the arrow could do as a result of the motion, but the momentum is what will get it there. Downrange, the heavier arrow will be traveling faster than the lighter arrow, resulting in more energy transfer and better trajectory.
thanks for explaining this, this shows how a heavier arrow has its advantages even though you arent getting a higher fps.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 11:05 PM

I am shooting 545 grains now. Many think that is way too heavy for deer but I am a fan of heavy projectiles in guns and bows.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page