Son's First Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Son's First Hunt

I took my son out today for his first MY hunt. He was toting his new crossbow and we were sitting in our blind. A little after 8, I saw a buck working across the top of the ridge on the other side of the fence. We started to get ready. The buck stopped and hopped the fence. He came at a trot in the meadow we were set up on. I stopped with a mouth bleat. He was coming broadside and at the sound of the bleat spun into a hard quartering to. Definitely a no shot situation. He stood for a bit then moved off never providing a shot. My son was super pupmed. We heard quite a few shots on the neighboring properties. Had a few does coming in, but picked up some movement and skirted around us. Left for lunch at 1030.

Back out at 130. Saw another buck at 2 coming from the same spot as the previous. But this time, I was correcting my boy for his noise and movement. As I turned back to the front, I saw the buck standing there watching us. He never commited and skirted the other side of the fence. A short 20 minutes later, a shot rang out on the other property. Buck down.

At 430, after he had to water a tree, I again was stressing the importance of being still and silent. I see a body up to our right at about 100 yds away. Again was looking at us. A little 3 pt that walked around the meadow.

All in all a good day, but just no luck. He was disapointed but he learned in the process, and that is what it is all about.

Got home to a nieghbor boy, a classmate of his, had shot a 3pt this afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 AM

Re: Son's First Hunt

Glad you guys had a nice day!!! Good luck the rest of the season!!

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page