crossbow for daughter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

crossbow for daughter

My daughter is 7 yrs old. She is already an accomplished hunter. Some of you may say this is way to young, but tell her that. She took her first buck last season with an H&R compact youth 223. Last Sat morning she pounded a nice gobbler with her Grandpa's boyhood .410.

I'm looking for some crossbow advice. I want to teach her the fundamentals of shooting a traditional bow, but her response to this is "I don't want a wimpy bow that I can't hunt with." So, How can I argue with that?

I've looked at several models at local sport shops. So far everything is very heavy and clunky. I could probably put a bi pod on one and make due, but am wondering what others use with their kids. Light, compact, fun to shoot,and reasonably powerfull, are what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM

Re: crossbow for daughter

i got my boys a barrnett from dicks sporting good ..shoots great has a scope ..yes you will need a adjutsable shooting stick or tree stand with rails . my boys are 9 and 10 years old.no shots with it last year.but i used it 2 take 2 deer .works great.congrats on the turkey .my boys also each got one on sat.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
RB
Sage

Quote:
Light, compact, fun to shoot,and reasonably powerfull, are what I'm looking for.
Parker Enforcer. For a kid I would go Enforcer with Hawke Mulit-rec, in fact I just did. It is really light and is compact becasue of compound limbs. 300FPS at 160 draw is plenty (you are likely going to have to cock anyone you get for a couple years)

We really like ours so far...my son (13) wants to carry it for gobbler in fact over a shotgun. He got a deer with our Tornado last year, and is very accruate with it. Although better made and a little more compact, it is quite a bit heavier and I see no accuracy advantage at least in normal bow range over the Enforcer.

They are all fun to shoot. You will get many responses here but stay focused on the kids...my kids hunting is why we got into crossbows, but I love shooting them too...ENJOY DIVING IN and let "arrowhead" set you up, takes all the hit and miss out of it.

My 6 year old son is not ready to hunt yet (hope he does not read this ), but my daughter is 12 and going out this year for the first time, we got some shooting to do there , but 2010 is going to be a good year.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would agree that the Parker Enforcer is a good bow for your daughter. The Parker also has a lifetime warranty, where most of the other brands are only 5 years. (and it costs less than some of the others too)

You asked for a bow that is "Light, compact, fun to shoot,and reasonably powerfull, are what I'm looking for. " All of that seems to describe the Enforcer. Put together a page or two of questions and give me a call. I'd be more than happy to help. Just click the link below for my phone number. I've shot all the current crop of crossbows out on the market, and can tell you what to watch our for and the good and bad of each.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ind. Deer Hunter
So far everything is very heavy and clunky. I could probably put a bi pod on one and make due, but am wondering what others use with their kids. Light, compact, fun to shoot,and reasonably powerfull, are what I'm looking for.
For a 7 y/o, most everything will be heavy and clunky. A bi-pod or rest of some kind is a good idea. As for which bow, Parker Enforcer or Excalibur Vixen II. Excellent bows and great customer service.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

One more for the enforcer, wifey loves mine. Stant
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
dce
Sage

I wouldn't even consider letting a 7 year old girl shoot at any live game without the aid of a rest.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

There isn't a hunter out there that can't benefit from a solid rest. Girls,boys, and a whole lot of unsupervised adults out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
I wouldn't even consider letting a 7 year old girl shoot at any live game without the aid of a rest.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Guys thanks a bunch for your input. There are some really slick rigs out there. We were looking online last night, and found two companies that made a ladies model in pink camo. I was kinda hoping she would let me borrow it when she wasn't using it. Maybe I'll have to get my own.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ahhh....pink camo. I just bought my daughter a 20 gauge to hunt turkeys. We came across the pink camo and her eyes LIT UP. But after a few minutes she said to me "that there isn't pink in the woods and that pink camo doesn't make sense, all the animals will see us."

One Shot...One Kill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page