arrow penetration question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

arrow penetration question

I have been archery hunting for 14 years now and have always shot a compound bow with aluminum arrows until this year and never had a problem shooting and tracking deer. I bought a parker terminator #175 that is supposed to be shooting 340 fps with carbon arrows. I am using muzzy 3 blade broadheads. I shot 2 deer now and have not been able to recover them both in the kill zone with little blood. the most recent was shot at 12 yards right behind the front shoulder. There was one drop of blood right where I shot it, the arrow for some reason did not come out the other side and definitely did not hit bone. I found another dark drop of blood about 20 yards away which leads me to believe that it definitely did hit a vital. I am not finding my arrows because they are not penetrating through the deer, at 12 yards with no bone i am not getting any blood. The shop that I bought it from says that the muzzy s are fine. does anybody know why I am not getting any blood or penetration or what i may be doing wrong? any suggestions for what could fix this problem? Thanks for your help and input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 PM

Re: arrow penetration question

Not sure I can offer any input. My experience has been that any traditional bow, compound bow or crossbow of a modest weight shooting a hunting weight arrow will pass through a deer unless it encounters bone.

A 175# crossbow shooting 340fps is more than adequate for all animals except dangerous game.

With all of that said, I high hit than hits bone and does not pass through it will take a while to bleed as the cavity must fill up with blood first. Not sure that was the case with yours but just throwing it out there.

If your broadheads are sharp, I can't explain your observations.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Happened to me in maryland too same situation...found blood a couple hundred yards away...never found deer 3 hrs looking ...next day my FIL..looked for another 2 hrs...blood not there....i was using 3 blade boltcutters....switched to swhackers...hope this will do it...still confused on mine too...

Come and try to take my guns!.you might meet my precious metal collection!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

i never in my wildest dreams thought that an arrow moving that fast would not only not go through a deer but would not even produce hardly any blood. I need to change something, it really bothers me because I know that it was a good shot. How do you like the swhackers buckinnuts?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Not sure I can offer any input. My experience has been that any traditional bow, compound bow or crossbow of a modest weight shooting a hunting weight arrow will pass through a deer unless it encounters bone.

A 175# crossbow shooting 340fps is more than adequate for all animals except dangerous game.

With all of that said, I high hit than hits bone and does not pass through it will take a while to bleed as the cavity must fill up with blood first. Not sure that was the case with yours but just throwing it out there.

If your broadheads are sharp, I can't explain your observations.
I agree with wha dpms said. I have seen deer go 50 to 100 yards and not find a drop of blood. Just because you didn't find your arrow doesn't mean that it didn't pass thru. Sometimes the arrow goes quite a distance and can go in some odd directions after coming out of a deer.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

if it went through there would be blood due to the exit wound. im thinking that the arrow is not going through and possibly keeping the entrance wound closed up until like dpms said the cavity would fill up and force the blood past. is it possible that at 340 fps the 3 blades are not cutting a round hole but 3 slits where the blades are and the only hole being in the center, the 1/4 in chisel????
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

wow, i shoot the exact same setup with muzzy mx-4 and all my bolts went right through except the last one. On the last one it was such a steep angle it went down the opposite leg bone and shattered the elbow. Found the arrow with the front 2" missing...the butcher found the arrow tip and returned it. I NEVER had any luck patterning or shooting 3 blade broadheads. I will say that your arrows are going through, you just are not finding them. 4 bucks ago I shot the Terminator through both shoulder blades and never found the arrow. I was on the ground and that thing just kept going.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 AM
The Man

thats strange, maybe hitting a little too far forward, gotta be hitting bone because they would have passed through regardless of what broadhead was used at 12yds.

sounds like you have had a rough time,we will keep off from the ethics because im shure you dont want to hear none of that. first off have you practiced with your broadheads,
second isnt dark blood a muscle hit? bright blood with bubbles is lung. third if a deers front foot that is on the side facing you is back its shoulder is covering alot of the vitals and waiting for the deer to take one more step or turning slightly facing away are better options. or using a broadhead with better penatration such as slicktricks will punch through if you hit a little forward than intended. probably will get bashed for that advice.
deer can move fast and if they are aware of what is coming your arrow will hit were you didnt intend it to hit so its best to wait and only shoot if a deer is calm and not not looking.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

why am i not seeing blood then, it know i shot it right in the kill zone. I have shot deer before and usually find the arrows. I know that this arrow last night did not go through, it was close enough that i would have been able to see the dirt messed up even if it went all the way into the ground. accuracy wise they are hitting in the field and on target where they are supposed to. I both deer were within 30 yards so I would believe that velocity is not the problem
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

the deer last night bothers me because not only is so close but it was broad side and standing still. I could see where I hit and know from where i saw it hit it did not bit bone and if it would have i would have more than likely heard it. I may have even been better off if it did because that may have caused more bleeding at that close

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page