How long do you wait - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

How long do you wait

How long do you wait to take up the trail after shooting a deer? Just curious how everyone else does it. These are my rules. They are not hard and fast and weather conditions can change these as well

Deer Falls dead in sight -- I will give it 5 minutes or so then walk over to it. This one is pretty easy and the most desirable.

Deer goes out of sight, but know for sure I shot it well -- I wait a minimum of an hour before taking up the trail. Most of the time I won't go over to my arrow unless the deer goes in the other direction. I go back to the house (I hunt close to my house) and get rid of some of the stuff in my pack, get my light, rope, knife, etc. Maybe even get a bite to eat, but am usually too excited to do this. Usually make a phone call to my parents to relay the story. By the time I do this I have a half hour gone and then only have to agonize waiting for the other half to pass.

Deer goes out of sight and not sure of where it was shot or know the shot was not the best. Same as above, but when I go back in the hour I will see what the arrow tells me to determine what I do next. I might wait 2 or 3 hours to check the arrow if I think the deer is bedded close and tha I might spook it. Most of the time I will call for some help if I think the tracking might be difficult.

Other than that I will use the available evidence like the arrow, blood trail, deer's reaction, etc to determine how long to wait. I usually wait longer than needed, but have seen too many deer followed up too soon, that once pushed become very difficult to find.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 AM

Re: How long do you wait

if i dont see or hear deer go down i wait till am..took many years to learn this... has paid off many times
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 AM
The Man

just depends on the shot. good hit and know its down, 5 minutes. good hit know its hit good but didnt see or hear it crash wait a half hour. bad hit several hours to overnight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:50 AM

For myself and helping friends I wait an hour. If only hour of daylight left I wait 45 min. If the deer gets bumped I wait 4-5 more hours.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 AM

If u see it fall I waitba long long 15 min. Lol.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

If I see the deer go down, I wait until my adrenaline level decreases so I am able to climb down from my stand safely.

If I am confident of the shot but don't see the deer go down, I wait thirty minutes before checking my arrow.

If I know I did not make a great shot, sleepless night and get at it in the morning.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM

If I see it fall, climb down and get after it. If I don't but hear it crash, about 15 minutes, get arrow, follow blood and proceed if confident. If I don't hear a crash, 45 minutes then check sign and proceed depending on what I find. If I know I made a bad shot, 12-16 hours.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM

The majority of the bucks I shoot do run/walk out of sight-I think just to keep me in suspense. I often hear them crash.

When they do fall in good sight I watch for movement, if none in ten minutes. I have thrown a call or something small in their direction to see if there is any reaction. If none I approach.

If I hear them drop out of sight I wait at least 25 L-O-N-G minutes plus then check my arrow. If good sign I proceed to track. If poor sign I wait 2-4 hours depending on what the sign on the arrow and my mental picture tells me.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

30- to 45 min.

Matthew 22:37-40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page