Hunt in the rain? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Hunt in the rain?

Years ago when I first started to bow hunt, the axiom was you don't hunt in the rain because it washes away blood trails. Now in almost every deer story I see, killed by a bow, states the animal dropped within 80 yds. With today's arrow speeds and energy, is that still true today? And do you hunt in the rain?

Ps.146:9 "The Lord watches over the sojourners".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM
The Man

Re: Hunt in the rain?

Yes, it's still true. I avoid hunting archery in the rain if at all possible. Arrow speed and energy has little to do with killing a deer(except that speed makes errors in yardage estimates a bit less costly, and with more energy you have a a better chance of a pass through. Neither make the deer die faster, they simply might make for a better hit, with a better blood trail, resulting in the deer being found easier). Where you hit the deer has everything to do with how far it goes after the shot. Hit it good, and it will be down quickly. Hit it not so good, ad you'll need that blood trail to find your deer. Anything can happen while hunting, that's why I avoid archery in the rain.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 PM
dce
Sage

I avoid hunting in the rain because I hate sitting in the rain.However,I honestly can't remember the last time I needed a blood trail to recover a deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hunt in the rain in my blind...and i can honestly say,i never lost a deer because of the rain...their ussally down within 50 yards...but i can see making a bad hit and loseing it because of the rain..then i'll ussally pull the hound out..
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM
dce
Sage

I've recivered or helped recover several gut shot deer that were left overnight in the rain.If you use your head and let them go without pushing them,it's very rarely essential to have a blood trail.Borden and I have a mutual buddy that gut shot a 20 inch 8 point accross from my house.He called me after the hit,being pretty sure that it was too fat back.He was smart enough to back out and we went in the next morning before work to find him.There wasn't a drop of blood but we still found that deer within 5 minutes of looking the next morning.He travelled about 75 yards or so and was still alive 14 hours after the hit.Had he pushed that deer just a little,we probably never would have found it.He used his head and it was a piece of cake.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't do it myself, and a blood trail helps when tracking a hit deer. In fact I came off stand last night when it started to rain, about 20 minutes prior to leaving I had a huge buck come by. I just won't risk not having the advantage of a bloodtrail.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM
RB
Sage

i would not say it is a favorite...but my day off is what it is. With a crossbow I am alot more confident in foul weather hunting...of the 7 we killed so far with the crossbow, we needed nothing but visuals from the stand to find them.

Think about the shot before hand and the rain loses its grip on your day.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hope it doesn't happen but your bound to lose one eventually hunting in the rain. Crossbow, Compound, Longbow just doesn't matter, even with a good shot hunting in the rain isn't a good idea. JMHO

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 AM
The Man

just limit your distances and be selective in your shots. a deer within 20 yds of a crossbow and a good shot is taken its a dead deer, doesnt matter if its a hurricane, monsoon, etc.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey4life
just limit your distances and be selective in your shots. a deer within 20 yds of a crossbow and a good shot is taken its a dead deer, doesnt matter if its a hurricane, monsoon, etc.
why only limit your shots if its raining? doesn't make sense to take marginal shots in good weather that you wouldn't take in foul weather. we owe it to the animals we are hunting to always take ethical shots regardless of what the weather is.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page