Fixed head broadheads flying better? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Fixed head broadheads flying better?

I lost confidence in mechanicals last season, due to one I believe opening in flight. So I bought som e 100 gr thunderheads the other day to try and use. My first shot went 5 in low, I figured they were going to fly different than field points so I adjusted my scope. Anyway I got them close, there just inconstant. One shot goes an inch or two left, the next goes a little right etc... Now when I shoot field tips, I have to be careful not to put arrow in arrow, so this is driving me nuts !
Questions: is this just the way of fixed heads, all my shots were within 2-3 inches. Is there something immmissing ghat I can do to make them fly more true? I made sure the fletching was aligned with the broadheads, but that's all I know. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 PM

Re: Fixed head broadheads flying better?

- spin test every head/ arrow combo
- try a more compact head like slick tricks, or QAD exodus
- get helical fletching to the highest degree possible

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Could be your bow just like the broadheads. You should get much better groups than that. There are many potential causes from the arrow, to the insert to the broadheads not be square to the shaft.

If you can spin test your arrows, try that to see if that is the problem. Or, try a 3 pack of G5 Strikers. They fly well in every crossbow that I know of. If they don't fly good in your bow the problem is elsewhere.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Could someone explain "spinning"'arrows.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I tried slicktrick razortricks and slick trick magnums along with muzzy 3 blade and both the slicktricks shot the best. The razortricks shot the closest to my field points. The mags shot lower then i wanted. I was hoping the muzzys flew better but they were eratic.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris
Could someone explain "spinning"'arrows.
Spin em like a top and see if they wobble at the insert if they do switch heads between shafts and see if its the shaft or the head

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ok, I only use new outta the box arrows for hunting, so anything I have a broadhead attached to has never been shot. With the exception of the one I used for practice. Wow, maybe I'll just go buy a pack of rage tomorrow and call it a day.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM
The Man

Quote:
Ok, I only use new outta the box arrows for hunting, so anything I have a broadhead attached to has never been shot. With the exception of the one I used for practice. Wow, maybe I'll just go buy a pack of rage tomorrow and call it a day.
that may give you more issues.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
New arrows and new broadheads will not guarantee a square fit between the two. It is possible that the tip of the broadhead will be pointing a different direction than the shaft of the arrow. This will result in erratic flight. With broadheads that catch more air, it will be magnified.

Spinning a arrow will show if the tip of the broadhead is centered to the shaft of the arrow. You can find arrow spinners in most archery shops and many of the bigger box stores.

As stated previously, erratic flight can be just from your bow not liking a particular broadhead. Before settling on another mechanical which you said you didn't want to shoot, try a shorter ferruled design and see how they fly. G5 Strikers are sold everywhere just about.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Part of the Community

I shoot the Rage 2 blades out of my Wicked Ridge warrior and have no issues with accuracey. I can still hit fine at 50 with them but thats further than I'm willing to shoot em at an animal. Rage worked well on my doe last season and from my last shooting session seems like I should have no problems with them again this year. GL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page