Bought my dad a crossbow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Bought my dad a crossbow

Bought my dad a ghost 400 off eders website.. had a nice coupon code to get even more off what it was on sale for. Should be here tomorrow.. I have never owned one. Any tips on what i should upgrade right from the getgo? it has the 3x32 reticle scope which i intend on leaving alone for now. it comes with 3 arrows im just asking advice to upgrade the arrows right away and if you guys use fixed or mechanical out of it.

appreciate the help, we intend on getting him ready tues-friday shooting each night. He cannot draw back his compound anymore

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Re: Bought my dad a crossbow

Since you went with a very high performance bow, I would suggest a arrow upgrade pretty quick. Most are finding the need for stiffer arrows to get enough spine for consistant accuracy at these speeds. I would suggest the Gold Tip Laser III, IV, Carbon Express Blue Streaks, Easton Full Metal Jackets and possibly Vitctory's Xbolts.

Also watch your string and center serving carefully. The Ghost 400 has been snapping strings quite frequently. The factory Barnett scopes are OK. With time, look at a Hawke for $80. Much better scope and many levels.

As for broadheads, small diamter, short ferrules such as G5 Strikers, Sonics, Razor Tricks, Wasp SST are great for fixed blade. For mechanicals, spitfires are proven in high speed bows.

Best of luck and I wish your father much success.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gold Tip Laser IV's would be my choice and the Easton FMJ is right there at the top of the list with it. G5 Strikers or Wasp Crossbow Boss for heads.

Check everything on the bow before you shoot it. I had one come in last week with no arrow retention spring.(it shipped that way) It's just luck that he brought it along to have arrows made and I discovered it.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. It shipped today and since eders main warehouse is in PA, its set to get to me tomorrow. I will look it over best i can. And get to have some fun shooting it as well

ill keep you guys in the loop.. might need ya on wednesday or thursday

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangler2k3
thanks for the replies. It shipped today and since eders main warehouse is in PA, its set to get to me tomorrow. I will look it over best i can. And get to have some fun shooting it as well

ill keep you guys in the loop.. might need ya on wednesday or thursday
hope everything goes well and there arent any tuning issues. he will like the xbow alot.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

got the xbow today. On my lunch break me and my cousin put it together. Looks like everthing is there and working well and able. Retention spring is there also lol

it says in the manual to lube the strings and the track.. is this a "you never can lube it too much" or a "don't lube it too much as it will not function properly" kind of deal?

lastly, and as figured Dad wants to shoot it tonight. My compound targets will not work. i have a dicks and gander in my town will any normal xbow target work?

appreciate the time to help get my old man in gear to shoot the rest of the week.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

answered my own question. Contacted barnett by email and received a call in 30 minutes. The rep told me they use morrell yellow jacket crossbow bags for all of their crossbow testing at their facility. 60$ at gander. rep told me at 30 yards with the ghost i should only get 4-6 inches of penetration.. sounds like a winner to me. Dad will be thrilled..

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangler2k3
answered my own question. Contacted barnett by email and received a call in 30 minutes. The rep told me they use morrell yellow jacket crossbow bags for all of their crossbow testing at their facility. 60$ at gander. rep told me at 30 yards with the ghost i should only get 4-6 inches of penetration.. sounds like a winner to me. Dad will be thrilled..
yep the morrell yellowjacket crossbow bag stops bolts very well. my arrows only get like 5-6 inches at 25-30yds. of course my xbow isnt as fast as your dads ghost but the target should last a long while for him.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Change your nocks from plastic to metal. The Ghost 400 puts a tremendous amount of force there. This will eliminate the weak point. Once you are sighted in put a little thread lock on all the scope/mount screws.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

i dont have enough time to get metal nocks between now and saturday. shouldnt be an issue for a few days right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page