Lets talk Kenetic Enegry - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lets talk Kenetic Enegry

[list][*] [img][/img] [img][/img] Basing all figures on 300fps[most crossbows shoot that or faster] here some of the ones ive checked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Lets talk Kenetic Enegry

OK. Here is a sample of the Victory we tested for Kinteic energy. It groups great. Yes that truly is 5 shots at 30 yards shot from an Excalibur Ibex. (one of my favorite bows) The calculator I'm using with the same 300 f.p.s. would be 103 ft. lbs.

My thoughts on kinetic energy is that it's over-rated. Nearly any modern crossbow produces more than enough kinetic energy to shoot through a pickup truck. Kinetic energy does nothing if you can't hit what your aiming at.
I posted a pic below with our Kinetic arrow. This is the one we play with at 100 yards just for fun. All the parts are listed to create it. It's probably the most accurate arrow we have tested to date.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Wheres the math? !0" piece of shaft weights 74 grains.....?????????????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret
Wheres the math? !0" piece of shaft weights 74 grains.....?????????????????????
The 10 inch peice of shaft adds 98 grains.(got to count the glue that holds it in there) The total finished weight is 516 grains. The math comes out to 103 ft/lbs of kinetic energy if I use the same 300 f.p.s. that you used in your formula.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

Go heavy as you can. Extreme front of center and momentum are way more important when it comes to penetration than ke. Momentum is a function of mass x velocity. ke is 1/2 mass x velocity squared. You could have a really high ke number but it doesn't accurately display how your bolt will perform downrange. Go Heavy or Go Home lol. Momentum is way more important than KE

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess I should have mentioned....By using the 10 inch peice of 1913 shaft it helps keep the forward of center balanced better. It also adds spine to the shaft.

By adding backweights to the insert you are effectively removing spine from the shaft. You are also adding too much weight to the front of the shaft. (just my opinion here...but we are getting our best flight between 15 and 18 % forward of center on most bows) I do know some guys are getting good flight with much more F.O.C.

Here is a tip: build the shaft without vanes. Shoot through paper just like you would with a vertical bow. When the paper tears look like an O you got the perfectly balanced arrow. It's a huge investment in time, but the results are well worth it.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead
I guess I should have mentioned....By using the 10 inch peice of 1913 shaft it helps keep the forward of center balanced better. It also adds spine to the shaft.

By adding backweights to the insert you are effectively removing spine from the shaft. You are also adding too much weight to the front of the shaft. (just my opinion here...but we are getting our best flight between 15 and 18 % forward of center on most bows) I do know some guys are getting good flight with much more F.O.C.

Here is a tip: build the shaft without vanes. Shoot through paper just like you would with a vertical bow. When the paper tears look like an O you got the perfectly balanced arrow. It's a huge investment in time, but the results are well worth it.
Outstanding suggestion!

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

No wander i couldnt get the victorys to fly,,,,,,, i didnt Modify them enough too fly!!!!!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM

If you read Arrowheads post properly it is an arrow he built to "play with" at 100 yards.I"ll tell you what secret you give me 3 Vapor arrows and I will test them against the Victory arrows.It will be an unbiased test and if the Vapor arrows rule I will state that fact.The same test I did with Victory,Firebolts and Gt2's.This test will be head to head Victory versus Vapor.20,30 and 40 yards with pics.No GT's or Firebolts.I gave those away because they didn't compare.Also please let me know the shop you buy the Vapors from just in case I want more of them.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret
No wander i couldnt get the victorys to fly,,,,,,, i didnt Modify them enough too fly!!!!!!!
We have bought them factory direct assembled too. They even have the Victory logo on the fletchings. We test nearly everything. They flew great without anything done to them. We just took the time to make them better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page