Broadhead problem. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Broadhead problem.

Recently I just shot slick tricks, grim reapers and meat seakers out of my Barnett ghost 350. The meat seakers were incredibly at least 1 1/2 feet high and 6 inches to the right. Wow. The reapers were 4 inches to to the right and 5 inches high. And finally the slick tricks were the most accurate. Only 3 inches low and 2 inches to the right. Does anybody know what might cause this really bad in accuracy ? Oh and did I mention before I shot the broadheads I shot a bolt with a field tip and it was dead on. So it must be the broadheads. What will cause this to happen?

20 feet up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 PM

Re: Broadhead problem.

Probably the arrow. The air that broadheads catch will multiply and problems with bow tuning or the arrow. With crossbows, tuning is not as much of a issue. I suspect that your arrows are the culprit. Either not enough spine for your fast bow or not enough weight forward.

Since it seems the fixed blade is flying the best, also make sure your mechanicals are properly closed and not prematurely opening.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 PM

What arrows and what vanes are you using?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Banned

Mark one arrow sight it in with a broadhead put new blades on it, after you shoot a deer do it all over again. I usually shoot my crossbow once a week during the season to make sure nothing is off, I just use the blades I sighted it in with the first time then put the new blades back on. I have not shot a field point out of mine for seven years. I will sight it in this week, when I can hit a one inch dot 3 times in a row at 20 yards with the same arrow and broadhead it's good. I might shoot 10 arrows before the season and it's dead on. Your range finder is your best friend range, when you get in the stand range landmarks so you know shot distances I shoot a max of 25 yards. Around 40 deer in the last 4 years no losses I love my Excalibur and Slick Tricks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do your arrows have a brass insert? If so, try a G5 Striker. (they usually fix these type problems) I had a customer last week that was having the same issue. We shot a field point at 40 yards, removed the point and put on a G5 Striker and he shot the same hole at 40 yards. It was probably an accident, but both shots literally went in the same hole!

If you live close to Springs, PA stop by and I'll let you try the heads we stock. We have "try before you buy" heads here.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I say the arrow as well. Everyone worries if the bow is tuned and most give no thought to the arrow. First you should know where the spine if the arrow is especially in the faster xbows. Second you need to make sure the arrows were cut square so the inserts sit in square so the broadheads do a well. also your front of center matters as well.Think about throwing a paper airplane. The form of your throw matters (bow tuned) but if the tip is bent (unsquare nocks) the plane won't fly straight. If the plane doesn't have enough weight to the front (F.O.C) its going flutter all around. If the spine of your arrow is sitting wrong on your crossbow they are going to wobble all over the place. Any broadhead you put on is going to exaggerate any of these conditions. Get your arrows made up somewhere they will check and do these things for you. I did and it makes a world of difference. You will pay a little more but the money you spent testing all these broadheads, you never would if had to do. I shoot a fixed head (ramcats) and my arrows hit within a quarter inch of my field tips at fifty yards. For the record fifty yards is what I practice out to but never hunt at that distance. Good luck to you.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Had same problem. Found the foc was only 11%, My 330 fps cb shot all over like 3 inch group at 25 yards, after getting my foc close to 18% its a tack driver.
Here is a calculator.
Good luck, Stan http://www.lmariana.com/foc.htm
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have you checked to make sure your braodheads are mated to the bolt correctly? and by this I mean have you spun them to see if/how much wobble you have at the head. I spin EVERY SINGLE hunting head I screw on to my bolts...even the mechanicals and I won't use a head in the woods that doesn't spin perfectly...period. All and I mean ALL my hunting bolts hit exactly the same poi as my field point bolts to 30+ yards and I attribute this to the head being mated perfectly to the bolt. Btw my Cyclone chrono's right at 355 +/- 2-3 fps consistantly. Any bow spitting out a short bolt at those velocites NEEDS perfectly tuned hunting bolts for good flight.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stant
Had same problem. Found the foc was only 11%, My 330 fps cb shot all over like 3 inch group at 25 yards, after getting my foc close to 18% its a tack driver.
Here is a calculator.
Good luck, Stan http://www.lmariana.com/foc.htm
Do you measure with a broadhead attached/

Ps.146:9 "The Lord watches over the sojourners".
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Use the total arrow length. End to end.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page