The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

about that time

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  bassnleo 
#1 ·
getting so season isnt too far away,
figured id start a thread to see if we can get some more conversation started in the xbow forum

what is everyones favorite method to use while xbow hunting. ladder,climber,hangon,blind or ground/still hunting?

I personally perfer to hunt out of my climber for most of the time with some still hunting also.

lots of buck around this year, hope to see this guy but will be happy with one of the other bucks that are more patternable.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ladder stands for sure, double ones....i love them, comfortable, roomy, can sit in them all day long.

Only downside is they are hard to move...so I got 8 in the last few years, might get more this year, but kind of gut hot my hunting budget with the camp/shed.

Also i designed a roof I am going to try this year for them, going to put them in the DIY forum once i make them..which i guess will be soon..,,cost about $22 each to make. But alot more sturdy then those umbrella types (can hold snow) and can stay up 365...

#4 ·
Mostly portable stands for me with a few permanent ones scattered about. I have my early season stand set and ready to go. Only three weeks until doe opens in the SRA. Been getting several family groups of doe on my camera.

#6 ·
RB-HPA said:
Ladder stands for sure, double ones....i love them, comfortable, roomy, can sit in them all day long.

Only downside is they are hard to move...so I got 8 in the last few years, might get more this year, but kind of gut hot my hunting budget with the camp/shed.

Also i designed a roof I am going to try this year for them, going to put them in the DIY forum once i make them..which i guess will be soon..,,cost about $22 each to make. But alot more sturdy then those umbrella types (can hold snow) and can stay up 365...
Can't wait to see the DIY roofs. I have been wanting to do that and that sems like a good price to make your own.

#7 ·
Just treated 2x4 ripped to 2x2, and PVC roofing from Lowes (light, tan color, and lasts forever). And a little spray paint if desired.

Since I own the trees and they ain't good timber trees, I likely will screw the framing right into them, but i guess a rachet strap would work too...now i gave way all the highlights..LOL..be a couple week on those i would think.

#8 ·
That gives me an idea. I have some pieces of steel metal roofing that I might be able to do something with. I also have some pieces of 2x4 as well. I might have enough stuff out in the building to make a couple. Thanks RB!
One thing I love about this site. You get some great ideas!!!

#10 ·
I'm a little behind. Me and hunting partner are taking stands to our area tomorrow, will be hanging them in the next week or so.

I have taken a few walks trying to identify where the acorns are most plentiful. I already know the bedding areas, and many travel routes, so hanging the stands is relatively easy.

On a walk 2 days ago, I eased right up ona group of 7. It was at 9AM and they were feeding toward one of the bedding areas. Got a good look at 5, saw one non-shooter buck, and 4 doe. Didin't get a look at two of the deer but both were large bodied and darker than the 4 doe. I suspect they were also bucks.

This is my first year back into archery in 10+ years. I'm actually excited this year. Been shooting the new xbow 3-4 times a week and I'm pretty confident with it.

It's gonna be a great season!

#14 ·
Doesnt matter i will hunt from anything anywhere! I put a roof on my ladder stand this year and going to wrap the sides with indoor/outdoor carpeting. Those leafy wraps or burlap wraps dont last. The carpet will hold up against the elements. Wrap it twice around the whole thing then take a portable heater with you on those cold days!

#16 ·
Me and hunting partner hung two stands this morning, have 4 or 5 more to go that we plan on getting done in the next few days. Found several trees loaded with huge acorns, some are dropping already and judging by the deer sign present, they are hitting them already.
Working on my gear, clothing, etc.. plus shooting every couple days. Won't take long for the season to arrive.
Like I said above, I'm excited, maybe more so than I have been in many years, more so now due to hanging stands and seeing what was present in the area.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.