Help teaching daughter to shoot crossbow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Help teaching daughter to shoot crossbow

Hello all,

Over the past year my daughter has expressed an interest in hunting this fall. I'm not sure she is ready yet, (she's only 8) but I am going to at least bring her with me a couple of times. Here is my issue. I am trying to teach her to shoot a crossbow I have. It has a scope and is perfectly on, but she can't seem to hit it. I have her shooting off of sticks in a seated position and the target isn't more than 8 yards away.

Any hints or other ideas to get her to shoot better? I have been using the practice makes perfect scenario, but she get frustrated and gives up. I don't want to push her too hard as she is likely to throw her hands up. Help please.

Sorry I posted in the wrong forum first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help teaching daughter to shoot crossbow

My brother and cousins crossbows have a pretty stiff trigger so that could be a problem. Now I am not a crossbow hunter, but my daughter (age 8) has been shooting a scoped 22 and bb gun for 3 years. She used to have to use 2 fingers just to pull the trigger and it will cause great problems with accuracy. Maybe if the trigger on crossbow is a little stiff you could see how her accuracy is with a scoped 22 or bb gun with a lighter trigger pull/ Also ear plugs since kids flinch at just about anything even though a crossbow is very quiet. Just a thought since I have been thinking of getting the kids a crossbow also.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

She is typically high on every shot. I figured out she was using the incorrect line but now she seems to be inconsistent high vs low. She is very rarely right or left but we have had a couple of rump shots.

My fear with her is a spine shot. I don't want to have to finish one in front of her while it is suffering. I know she won't like that at all, and I might lose her for good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would go with a bb gun for a while. Get a large box and see where she is hitting and if it's consistent. When she becomes consistent, then move up to the crossbow.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Personally I feel she is not ready if she is having problems at a close distance. I think her nerves will probably get the best of her as well so if she is shooting high already she might miss or worse. Keep her practicing but only when she wants. Do not push her like you already know, keep it up things should get better
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 PM

The above advice is spot on. I would also start her shooting on a bench that has a pretty good rest or sandbags with the gun or crossbow. This will help her to hold steady easier than using shooting sticks. It will also let her concentrate on her breathing, squeezing the trigger and following thru on the shot. Most importantly this will help her build confidence in herself and will make it fun since she will be hitting what she is aiming at.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page