Decocking or Release arrow (Bolt) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Decocking or Release arrow (Bolt)

I'm new to the crossbow world as I just picked up my new Horton Havoc. Heck, I don't even have it sighted in (scope) yet....but I was wondering about at the "end of the day" when the time came to release the string. (Well, maybe I'll kill one on the first day and have no worries about that!! )

Now, I have some older aluminum compound bow arrows. These are heavy arrows that I haven't used in years. If I were to cut down one of these arrows and put a blunt tip on the end of it to use as a decocker arrow, would that work? I could "shoot" it into a dirt pile at 20 yards and I would think there would be no adverse effects, except perhaps a bent arrow on the first try. Which would lead me to think I need to shoot it at 30 or 40 yards.

Opinions?

Thanks.

SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:19 AM

Re: Decocking or Release arrow (Bolt)

I would just get the morrell discharge target or Rinhardt also makes a small target. They are nice and light to throw behind the seat in the truck or car. I have also used them when I want to shoot a few arrows and don't want to get the big target out. They are well made. Then you can just use one of your arrows made for the crossbow to shoot it off. What are your old arrows? One of the main things is to make sure whatever you are shooting has enough weight for your bow. If you shoot lighter than what is recommended then you can do damage to your limbs. The other thing is shooting into a dirtpile or something isn't the best thing in the world. You will likely lose the arrows anyway. Trust me I know from experience. This is when I decided the $20 for the Morrell discharge target was well worth it.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:21 AM
The Man

no no no NEVER shoot a bolt that isn't designed for the crossbow! The difference in how a crossbow delivers it's energy can easily shatter the compound arrows. You should be starting out with at least a dozen crossbow bolts. As you "sight in" you will most likely find one bolt that flies a bit erratic each time it's shot. Set that aside and use it for your "decock shot". Best thing you could do is get a bag target and shoot at it at the end of the day. I shoot at mine at about 6 to 8 ft. The bolt will not penetrate far and can easily be pulled out with just your fingers. Even though there are those who will tell you that you can manually un-cock it, the MFG's do not recommend it. I believe there is a device made for that but it's not necessary and only adds to an emptier wallet

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 AM

You will find that you will have one arrow that just doesn't fly well. I use that as my sacrifice arrow and keep it in my quiver for unloading. I keep a cheap bag target in my vehicle most times for unloading. I do unload sometimes into the ground when I need to just trying to pick ground that is not too soft or filled with rocks.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm using one of these decocking arrow and it works good,doesn't stick in the ground

Sniper 370 / victory X bolts / shockwave 100grn / KI lumix with speedring (mine)
Parker Tornado (sons)
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ok. Thanks guys. I have a dozen bolts to begin with. I'll "find" the rotton egg in that batch, mark it and pick up a small cheap discharge target to keep in the back of my truck. (Hmmmm....more stuff in my truck)

Again....Thanks, you have been very helpful!!

SW
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

BTW....would it be a good idea to take a field tip and grind the tip to a round end (not that I'd over do it....just take the point off and make it obvious that it's not a "target tip")?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethwood
BTW....would it be a good idea to take a field tip and grind the tip to a round end (not that I'd over do it....just take the point off and make it obvious that it's not a "target tip")?
I guess you could but if you are concerned about carrying a field tip with you while hunting, a directive was sent to LE making it legal to carry a tip other than a broadhead for the puposes of discharging your crossbow. As long as this tip is not shot at big game.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

You know, I wasn't even thinking about that. But I would probably leave the discharge bolt along with the small target in the truck. But I suppose with an overzealous badge, even that could draw a citation.

SW
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM
New Arrival

I think legallly your not aloud to have a feild tip in your quiver while hunting so I leave my discharge arrow in the truck with the target

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page