Has anyone used the Barska crossbow scopes? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Has anyone used the Barska crossbow scopes?

I was looking at buying the Barska 4X32 Crossbow scope,I am looking to spend under 100.00, but haven't heard much about these scopes. Has anyone used one on their crossbow before or heard anything good/bad ? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 PM

Re: Has anyone used the Barska crossbow scopes?

Don't know much about Barska crossbow scopes but for less than $100 you can get the tried and true Hawke MAP. IMO, the best crossbow scope in the <$100 category.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 PM

I can also vouch for the Hawke MAP scope.That thing is dead on for me.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hawke optics makes some of the finest crossbow scopes in the world. Last year we had a 25% failure rate on one brand of well known scope. We sold four times as many Hawke scopes and didn't get a single one back. They also have a lifetime warranty. Hawke scopes

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

How does the varizone(excalibur) compare to the Hawke?The only thing that I didn't care for on the map scope is that it looks cluttered.I was going to try the SR model with the circle's.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That clutter is actually a rangefinder. Starting from the center, the ranges are 20,30,40 and 50 yards as you move down the scope. Looking through the scope you will see a small hash mark on each side of the vertical crosswire. Those hash marks are 6 inches at any given distance. The center to the fat part of the wire is 12 inches at the given distance. The right and left together equals 24 inches. Or, the front leg to the back leg of a mature whitetail. 12 inches is the nose to the back of the head. 6 inches is the ear opening of a mature deer.
It's a very effective system that is quite accurate. We have a captive deer herd that we tested it on and it's one of the best rangefinders I've seen in a crossbow scope.

How does it compare to the Vari-zone? Side by side, tested just a minute ago (it's 6:46 p.m. here now and almost dark) I would pick the Hawke. (my wife picked the Hawke also) There is a very slight difference and probably not enough to matter for hunting purposes. It's too dark to be shooting now anyway. The SR reticle clearly wins in this test, but I would imagine the Lumi-zone would be just as effective. (I don't have one in stock at the moment)

Overall, I give the win to the Hawke because of it's rangefinding capabilities.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 AM

Wow Mike, that's exactly the choice presented to me at the moment. Hawke MAP vs Excal Lumi-zone, both "in hand" at the moment. As I explained to you on the phone the other day, I am considering replacing the MAP on my new Terminator with the Lumi-zone that I had on my previous crossbow and I've been very back and forth with it. Thanks for explaining the sidemarks on the MAP reticle as I was a bit confused about that.

Another novice question, the ring that's closest to the eye end of the scope, it moves and changes the power on the scope. Where is the best setting for that adjustment?

Thanks again for the time the other day on the phone, as many have said you're a great guy to deal with!

Greg
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The ring closest your eye on the Hawke is a focus ring. My old eyes need it about one turn out, to get the crosswires in focus.
On the Excal it's a variable power ring marked with f.p.s. The Terminator will want it set at 340 or just a bit more. We sight in at 20 yards, move out to 40 and turn the ring until it hits the center of the target with the 40 yard point. The Excal scope also has a focus at the eye end.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 AM

My eyes take more than one turn.My eyes changed from the first year and the scope needed adjustment.It was easy though because I lost my scope cover.It has been replaced though.I loose them all the time hunting the way I do.The thick stuff works but it has it's problems.You deal with it.Jett the Hawke MAP is a great scope use it and get comfortable with it.It won't let you down when the time comes.In my opinion people that use range finders that are hand held waste needed time for the shot.The animal may be gone or spooked from excess time or movement.The Hawke scope does it for you.No wasted time or movement.Just hunt buddy.Whatever you do.I would like to see you in the woods.If you lived closer I would give you a couple spots to get you started.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 AM

I'm waiting for my Victories from arrowhead before I shoot my new Terminator. Can't wait to send a few arrows down range and get a feel for the MAP. I have to wrap my mind around the rangefinding capabilities of the MAP vs the illuminated reticle and variable speed capabilities of the Lumi-zone. Kind of a no lose situation picking between those 2 scopes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page