crossbow for daughter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

crossbow for daughter

My daughter is 7 and is very interested in hunting. They do not make a bow that she can pull back and not outgrow in a year. As a result of that, I was wondering about a crossbow. She will not be hunting this year, but wants to shoot and maybe (if she is ready) will hunt next year. I am looking for some suggestions that I can do some research on.

Thanks!

John Adams - "One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: crossbow for daughter

Parker Challenger Only crossbow made for youth! But its not a kiddy bow. 300 fps at 150 pounds draw. it can turned down to 125 pounds.

Koz

will hunt for food....
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Check out the inferno fury www.arrow-precision.com
The kit includes 175lb recurve crossbow 3-dot multi range red dot quick detached quiver with 4 arrows padded sholder sling and a rope cocking device
For $200.00 my son has one there great and the shop we went to sold over 200 last year.

Having one child makes you a parent; having two makes you a referee... Take your kid's hunting!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

From your post, it sounds like you want to be shooting a vertical bow. If she wants to try a vertical bow eventually, I would take a look at the Hickory Creek Draw Loc. I can fit it to a youth bow that she can grow into. She can remove the draw loc and replace it with a few turns of the thumbscrew. It is truly a "grow with you" type of bow this way. It can be shot with or without the draw loc and will grow with her.

I just got these in the store and I'm really excited about the advantages of these for the youth hunters out there. No need to buy a crossbow this way. Buy the youth bow and grow into it, while having the advantage of a bow that locks at full draw. It's a great system.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Let her handle some and shoot some to see what she likes. If you live somewhat close to arrowhead, I would stop by his place. The draw-loc is something I might get for my son in a couple of years when he gets to be 12 or so.

Mike, what do you think would be easier for a youth hunter to hunt with in hunting conditions the draw-loc or the crossbow. I just wonder in a treestand if a young hunter that is 8 or 9 if they would feel comfortable with a draw-loc since they would probably have to be standing to shoot. They might not feel comfortable with standing up that high in the air.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks for the ideas and options. C you have some valid points about comfort level. Arrow I shoot a vertical bow but would careless about what she decides to shoot. She has been VERY interested recently as I'm getting stuff ready and shooting and I want to make sure I take advantage of this window of time and capitalize before she moves on to something else.

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing on the Parker Challenger. Do any of you guys have any experience with this product?

Thanks!

John Adams - "One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My daughter is very excited about hunting this year. She also turned 7 this year. We are going to start some serious shooting and if she takes to it, I think I will be looking into a crossbow as well. She is already "huntin" with her own trail cam...she really can't wait long enough to pull the cards!

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I do the Challeger is a great bow. Light weight. Its sweet shooter. Just "down sized" to fit youths better. Same great G2 trigger as in all Parker bows. Same attetion to detail. same auto safety,same anti dry fire. Life time warranty. I have one for my daughter(s) and they love it. My oldest is taking it out this fall.

If your close to New Hope Bucks Co. Shoot me a PM. I will be more than Happy to let ya guys fling some arrows with ours.

koz

will hunt for food....
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Excalibur Vixen II is another good option. Excalibur bows will hold thier value much better too, so you won't get beat up as bad when you trade.

Kids seem to adapt very well and they overcome obstacles that you and I struggle with. Remember climbing to the very top of trees when you were a kid and not even thinking about it?

Actually though, in a hunting situation I would think a ground blind would be better for a youth hunter. They like to move around alot and movement is hidden in a ground blind. The crossbow is perfect for ground blinds.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

arrow, any reason why the excalibur holds it value better?

koz, thanks for the offer, but I'm on the other side of the state.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page