please be carefull - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
The Man

please be carefull

guys,

just wanted to type a note about safety as i suffered a freak accident shooting my crossbow this morning. forgive me if i'm off a bit cause i'm on pain pills.

i was sighting in a new scope this morning in prep for a bear hunt in a couple of weeks. i had the bow on the bench, in a shooting vise, cocked, locked and on safe. i was loading a bolt into the barrel and as soon as the nock touched the string the bow dry fired.

i dont think the trigger malfunctioned because the string actually jumped over top of the bolt pinching the bolt, my thumb, index finger and third finger into the barrel slot.

the accident took a half inch of finger tip and bone off of my thumb and index finger, and the flesh end off of my third finger. i spent seven hours in the er and the orthopedic surgen spent five hours doing his best putting me back together, but he had to take additional bone out so he would have enough flesh to close the wounds over. it wasn't pretty.

not sure what my fall holds now; i'm sure i'll be able to rifle hunt by late october in south carolina but archery is a question mark. i'm paranoid of the crossbow now (i've had several other bad experiences with this bow) and i'm sure it will be some time before my hand heals enough to contemplate shooting a vertical bow.

JUST PLEASE BE CAREFULL OUT THERE! WHEN THINGS GO BAD THEY GO BAD FAST.

(note: please don't ask make/model of bow; surffice it say it is a high end bow by a long time manuf. i am not about placing any blame, this was just an unfortunate accident.)

loridr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: please be carefull

Hope you recover quickly!!

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys

Sorry to hear about your mishap,With that many bad experiences,Time to look for a new one! I only knew one person that had a accident with a crossbow! Not a pretty site. Keep your chin up.heal well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 AM

Oh man, that is not good to hear at all. I will be hoping for a speedy recovery, Loridr.

I believe your bow does not have a anti dry fire device but has a auto safety if the bow is cocked correctly. Bow should have automatically gone to safe when cocked. I cannot explain why it fired. I suspect that the draw was short stroked and the trigger and safety not fully engaged?

Whatever the cause I would be very leary about shooting it again without a thorough checkup at a reputable crossbow dealer.

Also, most are aware of keeping the thumbs below the rail when shooting. Another tip is when loading arrows, load the arrow by only grabbing the front of the shaft, just ahead of the tip, from above with your index finger and thumb and push the arrow back towards the string latch. This technique keeps your fingers above and in front of the string.

Many folks grab the arrow in front of the fletching and load which places your digits in the path of the string if the bow fires.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 AM

WOW!! Hope you are not in pain too long.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks for the kind words guy's.

dpms:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Another tip is when loading arrows, load the arrow by only grabbing the front of the shaft, just ahead of the tip, from above with your index finger and thumb and push the arrow back towards the string latch. This technique keeps your fingers above and in front of the string.

Many folks grab the arrow in front of the fletching and load which places your digits in the path of the string if the bow fires.
bingo, i was one of the many. as i spent the day in the er, i thought of that exact thing. if i would have had my fingers positioned as you described, i'd still have intact fingers.

lo
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot
WOW!! Hope you are not in pain too long.
to quote the goaly in Slapshot "eat urt like ell."
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 AM
RB
Sage

heal well Loridr...hope you can still go on your hunt. One of my biggest fears of the crossbow, so much force contained to a small space.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sorry to hear this. Hope all heals well and wishing a speedy recovery.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks rb, but with the bear hunt only a couple of weeks away i doubt it would be wise to rush it. i see a surgen on friday; my bet is he'll not approve of it so soon.

but you can bet the farm and the wife i'll be at deerfield third week of october, even if things are still touchy mutt is driveing so all i'll need to do is shoot deer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page