New to crossbows! Suggestions for purchase welcome - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New to crossbows! Suggestions for purchase welcome

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker of this site and only rarely feel the need to post. That being said, I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge here and need some help!

I will definitely be buying my first crossbow this year in anticipation of the upcoming deer season. I've been doing lots of research and trying to come up with what I should be looking at.

First things first- I don't have a huge budget for this. I'm looking to spend about $600 max out the door for a complete set up. $500 would be better, but I know I'm really limiting myself on availability and quality at anything drastically under $500.

I've been doing the research on compound vs recurve. After spending lots of time reading on the subject I am fairly certain I want to go with a recurve. Still plenty of hitting power, if not as much as a compound, and much easier servicing of general wear and tear items. I hate the idea of breaking strings out in the field and having to wait for a tech to fix it, paying $50-$100 and having to wait a week to get it back.

I shot a barnett C5 and quad 400 at the local bass pro shops. The only thing I learned from that is that I prefer a reticle scope over red dot, though I could live with either I think.

The excaliber axiom package looks pretty nice and fits the bill. This is new for 2010, right? So no one has handled one yet I suppose. Although I'm leaning away from compounds, the wicked ridge xbow line looks good as well.

In the running-
Excalibur Axiom
Ten Point GT Flex
Excalibur Phoenix (out of price range as a package?)
Excalibur Ibex (again, out of price range as package?)
Excalibur Exocet (same thing as above?)
Wicked Ridge Invader
Horton Legacy 175
Anything else I should consider?!

If you have any good suggestions and thoughts on an xbow in this price range, please post and give me your thoughts! I'm really excited about getting into using an xbow and I know you guys have tons of experience and knowledge to throw around on this.

To Arrowhead- Will you be carrying the axiom kit? Also, if you have any good deals in this range, please PM me and let me know!

Thanks in advance, folks.

Christo

Moving into crossbows this year! Excited to get to deer season again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New to crossbows! Suggestions for purchase welcome

We will be carrying the Axiom kit. It's sure to be Excaliburs best seller this year. Of the bows mentioned above, the Axiom kit would be my choice. I've handled it and it's a great bow....especially when you consider the price. It's going to be $549.99. It's basically the Phoenix without the dissapator bars and high priced camo. (royalties paid for camo can get expensive and the manufacturers pass that onto the consumer) The Phoenix and Ibex are my favorite bows in the Excalibur line and the Axiom is going to be my all time favorite. (everything you need...nothing you don't need) Lightweight, simple, trouble-free and effective.

The Ten Point GT Flex starts at $499 and it's a good bow for the money. I've shot them and I like the trigger alot. Parts and accessories generally cost more for the Ten Point.

The Wicked Ridge bows vibrate alot. I think it has to do with the stock and the way it's made. The vibration transfers to the user through the stock. I don't like the vibration, other than that it's a good entry level bow for the price.

Horton- there are only two I would even consider. I like the Vision because of it's reverse limb technology and the Team Realtree 175.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 PM

I can't add more to what Arrowhead already did. If you are set on the recurve, he will set you right.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

i don't think i would limit myself to looking at recurves. i have bow hunted since i was a kid and have never broke a single string, thats hunting and shooting for over 30 years and never haveing a string malfunction. sure it may happen but i wouldn't make that what i make my decision on.

just my 2 cents

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Had my Horton for lots of years with lots of shooting. It is a compound and no string problems and I seldom use and rail lube. Server looks new. Shoots very accurate. Price are great, jump in.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 PM

You may have never broke a string but can you unload your crossbow without firing it?Can you adjust the brace height?With a recurve those things can be done.I'm not against compound crossbows either.I may buy one for my son.If I decide to do so Arrowhead will get yet another call from me.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

again neither of those two points are that important to me, may be to some but not to me.

i hunt at home so can unload no problem and i have a old bolt i can use if i'm away. i have no need to adjust my brace height.

more important to me would be how wide the recurve is compared to a compound. thats where i made my decision

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. For those that are saying not to rule out compound xbows, I will definitely take that into consideration. Speaking of that, what would you suggest? Again, I'm looking for $600 complete and out the door.

The Axiom isn't out yet, right? Does anyone know when they are supposed to hit the shelves?

I plan on taking my time and trying to shoot pretty much everything I can lay my hands on. Maybe a compound will end up feeling better to me after all.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Axiom will hit the store in May.
If you are thinking compound I would suggest taking a look at the Parker Buck Buster 150 and Enforcer 160. Both will get you set up at under $600 and give a lifetime warranty.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I'll definitely try to test out a Buck Buster 150 and Enforcer 160 next time I get up to Harrisburg. I will be anxiously awaiting the release of the Axioms as well! I hope Bass Pro doesn't mind me taking a few hours of their time to shoot xbows and then walk out without purchasing! Ah well, I've given them plenty of money over the years feeding my fishing addiction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page