How flat do crossbows shoot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

How flat do crossbows shoot

I am still trying to make up my mind between the Wicked Ridge Invader and the Ghost 350. Which shoots flatter and how far out should they stay flat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: How flat do crossbows shoot

Many things influence trajectory but, all else being equal, both will fall at exactly the same rate.(remember Newtons laws?) I've been studying all of this alot lately.

The Ghost 350 is faster so it will fall less, in say 30 yards, than the Invader, because it takes less time to get there. It's the actual amount of time it takes to get there that determines the rate of drop. So because it's faster, it arcs less and will be flatter. Neither will stay flat, they both start dropping as soon as they leave the string. (Newtons laws again)

Also remember that crossbow arrows will scrub speed very quickly. The "cleaner" the launch, the less they will be affected by the fletchings causing drag.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

my last bow was a matthews and it had a ton of drop every five yards. How much should either of those crossbows drop between 20 to 30 and 30 to 40?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Crossbows and vert bows all vari in the about of "drop". There are alot of elements that get factored into the problem. Each bow will shoot each arrow different.

What Mathews are ya talking about? example= A LX at 60 pound draw weight will be much slower than the Monster at the same draw weight. Do ya see my point each bow will have a different cast/drop.

It really dosn't matter what type of bow. Newtons law is fact and even a rifle round starts to drop as soon as it leaves the BBL.

Koz

will hunt for food....
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That ghost 350 might shoot an arrow faster but not flatter.

will hunt for food....
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM

My Excal Exocet 200 sighted dead on at 20 yards drops on average of 4 inches at 30. So you see, that is a good bit. I shoot mine open sights however, so at 30 yards(my max) I have to use a little kentucky windage so to speak.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 PM

buy a 30-06 or 7mm mag if you want flat i mean really how far are you going to shoot i have a horton vision i shoot out to 60yrds but i would not tell you to do that with out the right scope and pratics and a rang finder a bow is not a gun good luck with what ever you buy just pratics alot if your going to shoot lond rang with it any bow can shoot out to 100yrds but it takes pratics and im noy saying i would shoot a deer that far good luck
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys

I would not shoot a deer at 60 yds.Thats pushing it over the limit on 90 percent of the crossbows sold today! That's my 2 cents.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 AM

I can shoot great groups at 60 yards, but I wouldn't take a shot at a deer with it. Too much can go wrong in the time it takes to get the arrow out there. My limit is 30 yards and in ideal conditions 40 yards. To shoot at 40 the deer has to be unalert, broadside, I must have an accurate distance, and I have to have a good shooting position to be rock solid. I prefer 30 yards and in.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot
I can shoot great groups at 60 yards, but I wouldn't take a shot at a deer with it. Too much can go wrong in the time it takes to get the arrow out there. My limit is 30 yards and in ideal conditions 40 yards. To shoot at 40 the deer has to be unalert, broadside, I must have an accurate distance, and I have to have a good shooting position to be rock solid. I prefer 30 yards and in.
This is excellent advice. I wish everybody who hunts whitetails in PA with any type of bow would follow this.

God Bless the USA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page