New to xbows need some help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New to xbows need some help

I am new to xbows and looking at either the Barnett Predator for speed or the Parker
Tomahawk. I have between a 500 to 600 limit. I have been reading some bad things about Barnett reliability and service but liked the speed of the Predator. Parker seems to be more reliable and have better service. Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Re: New to xbows need some help

My advice is don't get caught up in the speed thing. It is a rare compound that shoots a honest 340fps with hunting weight arrows. And that kind of speed was and still is considered fast.

For $500-600 nothing wrong with the Tomahawk. Good bow with top notch customer service and warranty. Also look at the Wicked Ridge line by TenPoint. Great bows with even better customer support.

I am not sold on Barnett but that is only my opinion.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My limit was $500, I bought the tomahawk a few weeks ago, great little bow, plenty fast, and dead on accurate.

Matthew 22:37-40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought a Wicked Ridge Invader. Put the Bow Jax on it and the top mount quiver bracket and you will have a great set up in your price range. I love mine.
I agree not to get caught up in the speed race. Faster is not always better. A good quality bow with the vibration and noise limitted is perfect.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Look closely at the Wicked Ridge Invader. Wicked Ridge really stepped it up this year. The 2012 models are much better than last year and now they have string stoppers coming for them. These will be amazing with the stoppers.
I won't get into alot of details.but we had three bows in the store last month that were blown up. I've learned alot about what makes a good crossbow and what makes them break. I've never seen a broken Excalibur and I've never seen a Ten Point that wouldn't work.

I'm not saying they are the only brands out there,but those two brands are among the best and customer service will never be an issue.

Give me a call at 814-662-4321 and we.will answer all your questions. I can help and would be happy to do it. I may even be able.to save you a few dollars.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I see that the parker bows have a lifetme warranty and the wicked ridge is only fives years. Should this be something that I consider?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Regular Visitor

Warranty is a factor that you should consider, regardless of what you're buying.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator
I see that the parker bows have a lifetme warranty and the wicked ridge is only fives years. Should this be something that I consider?
It is worthy of consideration. Most issues with any crossbow will happen in the first two years. If issues don't show up you are good to go for many years beyond that.

My thoughts on warranties have changed in the last few years. If you build a bow that has problems, you need to offer a lifetime warranty and if you build a bow that is of the highest quality you won't need a warranty. Ask any Excalibur owner if they have ever had an issue with thier crossbow and the answer will likely be a no or never. (they wouldn't really need a warranty) The same can be said about Ten Point. I service close to 50 crossbows a year, some need strings and/or cables, while others are here for broken risers or slivered limbs. I get to see alot of issues that tend to sway the way I think about crossbow design, and I look for those designs in future models. I also look for the designs that never seem to have issues or failures.

We are still a small but growing mom and pop business. I'm alot like everyone else in that I have a limited budget. I've got to invest wisely and I want nothing but happy customers. There are so many crossbows that are new this year, it was difficult to figure out what to buy. We looked closely at all of them and the clear winner was Wicked Ridge, Ten Point and Excalibur. They just don't have the issues that the other ones have.

I'm a little concerned about some of the new bows we saw this year. Lots of untested, quick to market bows out there. The manufacturers are rushing product to market, to meet the demand for something new and faster. I almost would rather see product refinements, rather than a new model with more bells and whistles.

Of course, all of this is just one mans opinion. In the end, the only person you need to make happy is yourself. Try as many crossbows as you can and pick one that just seems like it's an extension of yourself. If your crossbow fits, any little issues will soon be forgotten. All of the major crossbow companies out there will have enough warranty to keep nearly everyone happy.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ya know there are lots of new bows coming to market now and each company its trying to get its piece of the pie.....

For that price point I WOULD LOOK VERY HARD AT PARKER BOWS.I would also look at excals. But Parker has a slight edge for me. Its more compact and faster,less noise. Plus made in the USA.

will hunt for food....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Love my Parker- tomahawk

Matthew 22:37-40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page