New Arrival

Bowtech Stryker

anyone have one? thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Bowtech Stryker

I have a SZ380. It's not one of my favorites, but it gets the job done. I often wished I would have bought the 350. The 380 is very finicky about the arrows it wants to shoot. I shot close to 200 shots today testing arrows in it and several other crossbows.
Mine is one of the first models with the black limbs. It cracks when you cock it and that always concerns me. So far I haven't had any problems with it though. The scope is not very good at all and that would also be a point to consider if you buy one. We do trade the factory scope in if you would want better optics.
At first glance they appear to be a good value for your money, until you look at the arrows and optics issues.

That being said, I think the SZ350 is a good buy if you get the bare bow and equip it yourself.

There are many other things to consider. If you would like to talk crossbow I'd be happy to talk with you. I' m typing all this from a phone and my reply is much shorter than I would like. 814-662-4321 My real name is Mike.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 PM

The Stryker has alot going for it. Great trigger, lightweight, fast and modestly priced. Of the 350 or 380, I would recommend the 350 as it has been mostly trouble free and shoots a wider variety of arrows better than the 380. Early trigger issues that have been resolved. The 380s were splintering lots of limbs but that seems to have subsided. Optics on both are sub par. Much better to swap out the optic for a better one.

Once you start pushing speeds towards 380fps and above, arrow components become much more critical to good flight.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

thanks for the great info guys..i have never even shot a crossbow so im not sure what to really look for...i dont want to spend over 700..i was also looking at the excaliber and recurve limbs...i hear the recurve limbs are better than the compound limbs..i really dont care what kind i buy as long as it gets the job done i guess
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseBowmadness
i was also looking at the excaliber and recurve limbs...i hear the recurve limbs are better than the compound limbs..
Not necessarily. With that said, Excaliburs are the most reliable crossbow. Hands down. Downsides are they tend to be a bit slower, louder and a good deal wider. Pluses are ultra reliabilty, easy maintanence, lighter up front and be de-cocked by hand.

I own a Excal Vortex and I shoot it often.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ah yes, the trigger and safety.
The trigger on my 380 is amazing. It's very light and breaks clean. Great if you are enjoying a day at the range in July. If you are shivering in a treestand in November, things can change very quickly. With gloved hands the trigger becomes an issue. It is very difficult to control with gloves on.

The "kill switch" safety. When you cock the bow it goes to safety automatically. You then place a set of pins into the trigger box. When you are ready to shoot you remove the pins and flip the switch. The thumb safety is literally a switch. I don't feel safe carrying or handling this bow without the pins in place. Not a huge issue, but something to keep in mind. There is an extra step in setting up for the shot.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page