cross bows and rage broadheads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

cross bows and rage broadheads

Excuse all my x-bow questions, as this is new to me.

I have had great success with rage broadheads, now i am wondering if i should use them in my crossbow.

Matthew 22:37-40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: cross bows and rage broadheads

funny thing about Rages...guys either love them or hate them....I've heard of guys shooting them with crossbows and having no issues...while others say they open early....if you have some...shoot them and see how they do....

for my 2 cents...I use Grim Reapers...Xbow model 100 grain Razortips.....never had a problem with them...they've killed every deer I've shot at with them.....
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Love/hate depending on who you talk to. I do not recommend them for crossbows but many do.

The crossbow has a very abrupt acceleration becuase of the short power stroke. This may explain why the blades are prone to opening at the shot. Not a big deal as these heads can fly well fully deployed. The problem arises from the blades potentially hitting the foot stirrup depending on the model which is not a good thing.

Tuning issues with crossbows is not as challenging as it can be with compounds. For this reason many fixed heads will fly great and the need for expandables is questionable. G5 Strikers and ABC Sonics fly great in every bow I own.

Just my opinion. Some folks love them.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wish I could really say/express how I feel about several mechanical broadheads that are being marketed to crossbow users. I would probably get a time out if I did. I really think the manufacturers are doing a huge injustice by marketing them in this way.
I also wish I could explain some of the details of how we test them. I will in private conversation, but not on an open forum. I' d be happy to answer any questions you have if you call.

There are some great heads out there. The G5 Striker, Tru-Fire T-1, Abc Bolt Sonic and probably the most overlooked is the Wasp Crossbow Boss. Wasp also makes a very good mechanical called Jak-Hammer.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 PM
dce
Sage

I killed probably a dozen deer or so with the wasp jackhammers when they first came out.At the time I was impressed with the big holes they made but soon learned that it made no difference.A deer shot through the vitals will die within seconds with any sharp head.My biggest complaint about the jackhammers ws their durability or lack thereof.I never lost a deer with them but I broke blades and either bent or cracked ferules almost every single time.I just really see no advantage in a big mechanical.With so many good choices of fixed heads,I see no reason to use anything else regardless of the type of weapon.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM
RB
Sage

I am in agreement with you guys on the mechanicals, there is no reason to toss a hatchet at them unless you are trying to cover a little bit for shot placement error.

Little slick trick fixed (and tons of others) kills them in steps...not sure why you need that big of a hole unless tracking or shot placement problems. Especially if you try to get as much meat off them as possible. Certainly no advantage to them to warrant adding the "what if it opens early" worry they bring with them.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks fellows for the reply's think i am going to go with the
G-5 striker...

Matthew 22:37-40
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot the Rage Xbow head out of my xbow and have never had a problem. The Xbow head has a deeper grove to grab the oring...this is turn prevents early opening.

Take a kid hunting, it's the future of our sport and the future is now!
Wired Outdoors, Field Staff
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 AM

Some guys double rubber band expanding broadheads where applicable to keep them from opening at the shot. I`m not sure if that impedes them opening or not when they hit the animal?

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon
Some guys double rubber band expanding broadheads where applicable to keep them from opening at the shot. I`m not sure if that impedes them opening or not when they hit the animal?
No it does not, at least not in my experience. When I use a rear deploying expandable like the 3 blade spitfire in my Cyclone that chronos at 354 fps I do not want a flash open on my hands! I have seen it first hand when and expandable flashes open and gotta say it was almost as scary for me as it was for the guy shooting the bow. I always use a band up by the notch in the back of the blades and have never not had a complete pass through on deer out to about 38 yards...as far as I like to shoot anyways. I would not doubt for a second though that they would perform to 50 if I needed them to set up that way.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page