Horton Havoc input please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Horton Havoc input please

I'm looking into buying a crossbow this year for the fall season. Now, I've hunted bow season since Hitler was a corporal, and started with a recurve, then went to a compound. But I have a health issue that I've been struggling with and after wounding two doe last season that under any other circumstances, should have been kill shots, I've decided to not wound any more.

Now, I've read a lot about the Horton (last years was the Vision) and I like what I read. This years model is called the Havoc and I was wondering if any of you guys either have or know of someone who has had any experience (good or bad) with the Vision model.

Thanks so much for any input you can provide. I really only like to buy bows once and hang on to 'em for a long time. I still have my original Bear recurve and my PSE compound. Now I'll just add a X-bow to the collection, and cut back on wounded deer.

SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM
The Man

Re: Horton Havoc input please

Call arrowhead is the best advice I can give you.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM

I have the vision and so does at least 9 of my freinds and we love them. The only thing they did this year was add the anti-dry fire to it. If your looking for a vision i have one new in the box i would sell you for 650.00 plus shipping Theyalso have the new FURY but i dont care for the feel of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

I like the feel much better on the fury than te vision, its a little longer so I think that makes it fit me better
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM

The Vision has turned into a very nice bow for Horton. It was in need of a upgrade though and the Havoc looks like it will also be a very nice bow. At the ATA, both the Fury and Havoc were not able to be shot. The Fury was a prototype.

The Havoc is built on a proven platform so it should hold up well. It will also be one of the quietest and narrowest bows out there, I suspect.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys!! I think I need to take a trip to a local dealer and hold one of the new Havoc's. Then I can make my final decision and part with my $$$$.

I really appreciate your input!

SW
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You wrote this: "I really only like to buy bows once and hang on to 'em for a long time. I still have my original Bear recurve and my PSE compound."

There are really only two that I would tell you that apply to this situation. Ten Point and Excalibur. I see many that are over 10 years old and they are still shooting like the day they were made. That isn't meant to take anything away from Horton. They have plenty of older crossbows out there that are still shooting well. I have seen some of the newer models that don't seem to be holding up as well as the older models though.

That being said, the Havoc is a major improvement over the Vision. They shook out all the bugs and I feel that they got it right this time around. Look closely at the cams of the Havoc and you will see what I mean. The Vision used a crimp on hanger to hold the cam and axle to the limb - the Havoc uses an axle through limb attachment and the limbs are pinned. Very good engineering in that method. The cams themselves are designed so that there will be less limb twist. Also a good idea. Lots of shared technology on this crossbow that appears to come from Scorpyd. Anti-dry fire is also a great idea on any crossbow. I think the Havoc and Fury will be some of Horton's best bows to date.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Arrowhead,

How "difficult" is it to pull back (set) the Horton string? From what I understand, the crank is a must for the Ten Point and Excalibur.

Thanks.

SW
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethwood
How "difficult" is it to pull back (set) the Horton string? From what I understand, the crank is a must for the Ten Point and Excalibur.
Rope cockers can be used for all of them. Rope cockers require more effort for sure than a crank, but the force required is not that much. Plus they are faster to use. The Horton Vision used a sled that attached to the string compared to hooks on a typical rope cocker.

Cocking by hand is a chore on new crossbows and not really advised for several reasons. First is it requires tremendous force to cock the newer bows. Second, it is easy to not have the string centered which will affect accuracy. And third, it is darn near impossible on the narrow axle to axle bows of today becuase of finger pinch.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you can lift a 5 gallon bucket of water, you will be able to cock even the heaviest of crossbows with a rope cocker.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page