Tips for Turkey - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Tips for Turkey

I'm thinking of going out for spring turkey for my first time ever. I'm looking for some basic tips on what to look for scouting and what "easy to use" calls. Also any helpful info would be appreciated. I have a buddy who says his area is loaded with the bearded bird. (Gettysburg area)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Re: Tips for Turkey

I am by no means an expert turkey hunter, but I can give you a few good things to do. First go out and listen for them in the morning and the evening and find where they are roosting. Also listen when they come off the roost in the morning and see what direction they generally head. Setup between where they roost and where they generally go. I would get a push-button call or a box call since they are the easiest to learn to use. They will come with instructions on how to make the basic calls. Sit extremely still because turkeys have great eyesight and be patient.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 PM

Re: Tips for Turkey

Ya got to hunt where there are birds. It is very helpful to be where the gobblers want to go or hang out. Calling less is better than calling more. You don't have to be a master caller to kill turkeys. The late mornings are just as good as first light. Late season can be better for killing birds than the early season. If it is wet, hunt the fields. Make sure you can hit the exact spot you are aiming at when using a bow. 20 yards and in is a great range to shoot with archery tackle. If hunting from a blind, place the decoy within 6 yards of the blind.

Just a few tips of the top of my head. Maybe the most important tip is to take lots of hero shots after the kill and post them here.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page