X Bow Advice, Please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

X Bow Advice, Please

I have decided that I would like to try cross bow hunting. Primarily turkey because I see so many in areas that I would not like to fire a shot gun. Can anyone give me some advice on what I need for the first few steps? I have not even held one in my hands so .... any info will be new info to me.
Thanks

NRA Member
Former USMC - Vietnam
Retired Army - Desert Storm
Renewing hunting knowledge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Re: X Bow Advice, Please

All depends on what you want to spend you should go and shoot a couple frist you dont need to sped 2000.00 for one a good one will cost you around 500 to 700 i shoot a horton vision and love it but they make alot of good ones any more so good luck try arrowhead he can help you
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Contact Arrowhead, a member here and he has many posts and threads in the the crossbow forum. I have never dealt with him but all you hear is great things, and a friend of mine just did business with him.

My friend is not a member here but was looking for a crossbow info for his dad. I really don't know much about them so I looked around HPA for some info. I gave my buddy Arrowhead's number from his web page. He talked to my buddy 3 seperate times and answered many questions before the Wicked Ridge was purchased. my buddy can't be happier with the knowledge and service he received.

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

X2 on Arrowhead

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Welcome to world of crossbows. As already suggested, a call to Arrowhead is a great place to start for good discussion.

Some basics. Get a price range that works for you. Bows can range from $300 to $3000 but it doesn't necessarily make one that great over another. A good average is $500-$700 fully equipped.

Most that archery hunt turkeys do so from a blind. That lends itself to a compound style crossbow becuase they are narrower than recurve styles. That will make your maneuverability much better within a blind.

Speed and noise are not big factors for turkey hunting with a bow. Any modern crossbow wil blow through a turkey and they tend to not react as much to the noise of the bow during a shot.

The front end weight of the bow is not as critical either as most likely you will be sitting with a knee rest or bi- pod.

With all that said, for turkeys, I would advise a moderately priced compound. Look at Wicked Ridge/TenPoint, Horton Havoc, Parkers for starters.

Hope that helps.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You are not too far from me. Stop by and shoot some crossbows. You will know what you like once you shoot a few of them.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page